Tomato Season - the Master Thread

This is happening for lunch today. I’ve yet to ‘toast’ the bread in bacon fat, but here we go…

4 Likes

Latest “glut” of tomatoes,vlatest batch of gazpacho!

I made a BLT salad for lunch.

Anyone else swimming in tomatoes yet?

5 Likes

I thought this would be appropo here

3 Likes

If someone had told me I would make this I would have given them the old side eye. Cored, bleached and peeled cherry tomatoes brushed with a sugar and salt glaze and cooked for two hours.

They taste pretty nice!

Didn’t someone make this on Top Chef? Maybe Washington?

Nope; those were very raisins in Denver.

4 Likes

I’m not about to blanch and peel cherry tomatoes but I regularly roast them with olive oil and salt.

Since I can’t stand spinach stems, I take the time to remove those!

4 Likes

Done when they shrink by half.

Before

Almost 2 hours after.

3 Likes

Simple is best.

1. Tomatoes + Raw onions + Olive oil + Lemon
  2. Tomatoes + Fresh Rocket + Burrata + Olive oil + Lemon
  3. Tomatoes + Sumac
2 Likes

Tomatoes + red onion + cucumber + olive oil + balsamic vinegar (+s&p). Someone’s we add crumbled feta.

I like to make this with home grown heirlooms. This season has been a struggle. I have three plants in large containers. All are maybe 5 feet tall, but only one has given a significant crop. The other two have been huge disappointments. I’m blaming a late warming which became excessive heat every day.

3 Likes

I’d picked up what I thought would be wonderful Italian baby romas, but sadly they turned out to be utterly devoid of flavor. Roasted them with olive oil, Italian herbs & salt and will turn them into a pasta sauce tonight (with bacon, onion, roasted eggplant & a few ciliegine, and fresh basil).

2 Likes

I always feel that way with the first two dozen or so,

But then I feel I have to get a bit creative. Among other things, I’m making gazpacho about every three day. Not that there’s anything wrong with that! It’s a nice "problem " to solve.

4 Likes

Belmont, Ontario field tomatoes

2 Likes

One of my favorites too. I add a chiffonade of basil.

3 Likes

Finally was able to make a favorite seasonal dish with my black cherry heirlooms: a cold noodle and tomato dish from NYT. I use soba here. Halved cherry tomatoes are salted for ten minutes, then mixed with soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, roasted sesame oil, a bit of minced garlic and a dab of Dijon mustard. Then I add the shocked, drained and cooled noodles, followed by radish slices, toasted sesame seeds and either scallion or thinly-sliced celery. The recipe has you add cold water and some ice, but I skip that - I love the dipping sauce flavor without diluting it. Crazy good.

3 Likes

I am making Southern Tomato Pie tonight.
Last night was tomato sandwiches with Dukes on white bread.

5 Likes

Yum! I love the one by Vivian Howard.

Haven’t made it like this since trying low carb, but here it was in 2018.

5 Likes

How to Make a Good Pizza
Step 1:

for homemade pizza I use more of a ‘thick stewed tomato’ vs. sauces . . .
seriously more fresher taste than pseudo catsup.
after this cooked down/cooled, it goes in quart freezer bags - one thaws quart bag is just right for a 16" pizza.

3 Likes

I have to try this. We have an overabundance of cherry tomatoes though not black ones. How do red and black cherry tomatoes differ in taste?

I just went to track down this recipe and of course I already had it saved! It must be an omen. I’ll note your adjustments.

1 Like

New Yorker humor;

You should def try it with whatever cherry tomatoes you enjoy eating raw.

(It’s really impossible to generalize flavor differences based on color alone - so much is at play.)

3 Likes