Tomato Season - the Master Thread

I’m sure somewhere on these threads someone already has posted bruschetta with fresh mozz, but that’s what we had for lunch today. Our first of the summer … it was heaven.

I’ll be baking bread tomorrow and hording my basil for more of the same.

9 Likes

Ah. Thank you.

Some more ideas from the NYT.

1 Like

Nice! I might try the salad with chickpeas.
NYT “gift” link in case there’s a paywall

2 Likes

Today’s gazpacho. Mostly the NYT recipe, but also bits of the others , with olive oil drizzled in to the blender after going through a fine sieve.

4 Likes

I still have tomato shrub from last season, and i might make more. Has anyone tried tomato shrub, or tomato shrub gastrique?

1 Like

If you’re anywhere near Bavaria, I envy you.
The Sonoran desert isn’t exactly the market basket for America, and that’s an understatement. But in Nurnberg and other towns when we were there I saw a lot of farmers’ markets that had some of the most incredible produce and the biggest variety that I’ve ever seen. I’d stand there like a dog seeing a big steak while being dragged away to continue the forced death march through the rest of the city since nephew was on a weight loss quest and I had an undiagnosed case of heart failure, so I swore the whole time under my breath. Oops, I digress. But it was truly the trip of my lifetime.

1 Like

I hope there are no flash floods where you are! I didn’t check the maps closely but lots of news stories in my “curated stream” today.

1 Like

Well, I’d take a flash flood at this point, the storms are neatly splitting at the last minute and leaving most of midtown high and dry. But the news footage of the runoff from the mountains has been pretty spectacular. The wash near my house was even running the other day, as if to mercilessly tease us, we got no rain at all that day. My poor tomato and other edible crops would like some nice rain water instead of the hose stuff.

1 Like

I made a simplified version of Tomato Party from Ottolenghi Plenty. A variety of tomatoes roasted at 400 with some olive oil, garlic and an Anaheim-ish pepper that had fallen off the plant. I served them on couscous with chopped basil, tarragon and oregano. Drizzled with a bit of sherry vinegar.

9 Likes

This is happening for lunch today. I’ve yet to ‘toast’ the bread in bacon fat, but here we go…

4 Likes

Latest “glut” of tomatoes,vlatest batch of gazpacho!

I made a BLT salad for lunch.

Anyone else swimming in tomatoes yet?

5 Likes

I thought this would be appropo here

3 Likes

If someone had told me I would make this I would have given them the old side eye. Cored, bleached and peeled cherry tomatoes brushed with a sugar and salt glaze and cooked for two hours.

They taste pretty nice!

Didn’t someone make this on Top Chef? Maybe Washington?

Nope; those were very raisins in Denver.

4 Likes

I’m not about to blanch and peel cherry tomatoes but I regularly roast them with olive oil and salt.

Since I can’t stand spinach stems, I take the time to remove those!

4 Likes

Done when they shrink by half.

Before

Almost 2 hours after.

3 Likes

Simple is best.

1. Tomatoes + Raw onions + Olive oil + Lemon
  2. Tomatoes + Fresh Rocket + Burrata + Olive oil + Lemon
  3. Tomatoes + Sumac
2 Likes

Tomatoes + red onion + cucumber + olive oil + balsamic vinegar (+s&p). Someone’s we add crumbled feta.

I like to make this with home grown heirlooms. This season has been a struggle. I have three plants in large containers. All are maybe 5 feet tall, but only one has given a significant crop. The other two have been huge disappointments. I’m blaming a late warming which became excessive heat every day.

3 Likes

I’d picked up what I thought would be wonderful Italian baby romas, but sadly they turned out to be utterly devoid of flavor. Roasted them with olive oil, Italian herbs & salt and will turn them into a pasta sauce tonight (with bacon, onion, roasted eggplant & a few ciliegine, and fresh basil).

2 Likes

I always feel that way with the first two dozen or so,

But then I feel I have to get a bit creative. Among other things, I’m making gazpacho about every three day. Not that there’s anything wrong with that! It’s a nice "problem " to solve.

4 Likes