Tomato Issues - Again!!

Mine stayed green for over a month then started getting color almost overnight.

3 Likes

That’s fantastic-looking for such a small pot! Tomatoes tend to have enormous root systems. Try fertilizing them more often, they may be running out of nutrients due to competing for them.

To prevent blossom end rot do the following: Save your eggshells and put them through a food processor to grind them up into a powder. When you plant tomatoes, strip off the bottom leaves and dig a hole 6-8" deep. Put a tablespoonful of the crushed eggshells at the bottom of the hole and plant your tomato. The calcium helps to prevent blossom end rot. However, this may cause a temporary loss of nitrogen, so I just water the plant with a solution of fish or seaweed emulsion to offset this problem. Planting your tomatoes deeper allows roots to form along the stem. Then put lots of mulch like straw, grass clippings, etc., around the plant. This will keep weeds down and help the soil retain moisture.
Also, I note that this plant could use a bit a bit of pruning. Perhaps just pinch off any new shoots so that the plant’s energies will go toward producing tomatoes rather than foliage.
However, your plant looks quite healthy, so be patient and you’ll be rewarded with tomatoes in due time.

Thanks, Heuchera for your advice! I do appreciate it, but I no longer have that plant and didn’t plant any tomatoes this year. I’ll remember for next time do!