Tomato Issues - Again!!

That pot is 22” . I had big tomatoes from that pot last year. I assume these are still growing?

Yes; if they are indeterminate (Big Beef, right?) they will grow until they die from frost or disease, and those look very healthy. If you get big tomatoes in that pot then keep doing what you’re doing! You must be doing something right. Some people grow indeterminate tomatoes in half wine barrels with six foot supports, although many people use five gallon buckets successfully. I grow in containers as well, but only “dwarf project” tomatoes which are said to do well in containers.

1 Like

Yes, indeterminate. A few years ago I used small pots and got very small tomatoes. The last few years, since I got this pot, I have had other issues, but size wasn’t one!

1 Like

So another update. I may be done! I have a lot of tomatoes that are growing. Some have blossom end rot! Not all. I water every day, same time. The plant looks so healthy. Is there anything I can do?

This is the first time my son is into growing a vegetable garden
He uses fabric bags, has a timer ( Italian) but somehow, he switched to rain drip ( do. not know the reason)Each plant has 2 or more of the device that drips into it depending on the size.
The garden is doing well but I live in Md 20639.
Now, the cukes and zucchini are probably history , but prior to leaving he cut them back drastically. I made lots of bread he pickled. zucchini with green tomatoes. The string beans are still going strong, the tomatoes are his main pride and glory. They are going strong He has about 9] tomato plants ( 3 types) and 6 or 7 cherry tomato plants. The soils he use are organic and he uses this fertilizer for the tomatoes which I just found on line at Home Depot depot. I have so much tomatoes I a giving them away as well as freezing them .Maybe that is where the success is from . He uses other fertilizers too as I have lots and lots of empty bags around.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dynamite-0-675-lbs-Mater-Magic-Organic-Tomato-Fertilizer-100523716/100662161?MERCH=REC--SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr--NA--100662161--N

1 Like

So strange you’re having so much trouble. So many questions … I’m sure you’ve googled so I can’t add beyond that wisdom but here is a link just in case that talks about some causes and fixes …

My volkovs have blossom end rot too, but my black krims (which are in the same pot!) and bloody butchers are unaffected. It’s really hard to prevent in potted tomatoes (and more work than I care to do). I let the blighted tomatoes ripen anyway, and just eat the unaffected portion.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/resources/blossom_end_rot_tip_sheet

ETA The page that Thimes linked to suggests that blossom end rot can be halted once it begins. I do not believe this is the case - the calcium deficiency is present when the fruit first begins to develop, so I don’t think there’s anything to be done about it once the rot appears.

I had blossom end rod especially with Green Zebra variety for several years. Adding calcium to the soil improved the situation instantly.

This helps. Thanks!

I just googled, that tomato fertilizer I mentioned earlier has calcium
he does not have rot but a few tomatoes got sun burned and so, some of them that are exposed to full sun, he covers each of the exposed tomato with shredded white cloth from old bed sheets. He also sprays with distilled vinegar and whole milk. ( he has a bottle of each I do not know concentration. but I saw h I’m doing it as he asked me to get him some spray bottles ) He is away for 2 weeks so, I am not spraying, just harvesting for him.
This is today’s harvest.
The ambrosia melon was a surprise, I did not see it on previous days as I thought they were gone. Had one in fridge that I cut up yesterday.

Told not to harvest them , that they will fall off stalks when ripen . It is still very small. The green tomato was not picked. It had fallen off.
My neighbor and friend, a master gardener, who comes to pick our tomatoes as she never has enough for her family of 2 kids with grandchildren says that for a beginner, my son’s effort has been excellent. She particularly loves our cherry tomatoes which she pops in her mouth when she is harvesting them.

1 Like

How did you add the calcium?

I bought a big pot of calcium supplement for plants. I’m sure you can find this in your garden shop.

BER is usally about uneven water, but it is related to calcium. The way I understand it the connection is how water effects getting calcium where it needs to go.

The shape and variety of the tomato plays a role as well, with paste tomatoes being most sensitive.

In my climate, to reduce it during peak season I need a really big volume of soil, a water reservoir, and water at least twice a day. With container planter, you water a lot you, and if you water a lot, you need to feed a lot, so maybe fertilizer with calcium is more of an issue in a pot. Do you know if your pot ever dries out?

Calmag is a supplement available in hydroponic places, but I haven’t had to use it when growing in soil. I use MaxiGrow and MaxiBloom from General Hydroponics in my containers.

Thanks!

Read my post and realized I sounded sure of myself.

Not sure of myself!

1 Like

Who is?

1 Like

Has anyone tried this?

So any advise on the fact that my tomatoes are still green? The Rot Stop did help with the blossom end rot though!!!

I guess you should just wait.

Mine are still green too. Seeds sows indoors in March, outdoor 1 June, but my pots only receive afternoon sun. I guess that affect the speed…

Talking about issues, I found 3 or 4 caterpillars happily devouring my cherry tomatoes even they are still green. First time out of my whole tomato growing life, usually they eat leaves…

1 Like