Tofu and Tempeh Recipes

@peterwang this should read as almost 1/2 pound about 200 grams of tempeh (tempeh tuna recipe).
I will contact a moderator to correct it for me.

I donā€™t use any recipe but can describe how I usually make the balls. Process the tempeh finely with an egg, broken flaxseeds or meal (or bread crumbs), spices of your choice (or garlic and onion powder). For the balls in the photo I used kebab spice mix.

Weigh tempeh mix for each portion and form balls (same weight and same shape to cook evenly). (Shallow) fry with fat in a frying pan or toss the balls in some oil and cook in the oven.

1 Like

Ok thanks so Iā€™ll post my Tofu Ball recipe itā€™s different enough from your tempeh ball recipe.
Iā€™m making tempeh burgers tonight.

1 Like

Sorry, this reply is to Peter.

The tempeh I get here is not pasty but quite firm and chewy.

You can also steam it first (optional), toss in some oil and cook it in the oven until crispy.

I think Indonesian tempeh dishes are more home-style kind of meals thatā€™s why they are not often found in cookery books.

1 Like

Tofu Balls

Ingredients:

1 block firm tofu, mashed

1/2 cup breadcrumbs or rolled oats

1 1/2 TBSP tahini, peanut butter or almond butter

3 TBSP Tamari soy sauce

1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley chopped fine

1/2 tsp dry mustard

Dash of fresh ground black pepper

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Combine all ingredients together and mix well.

Shape into balls or burgers

Place balls/ burgers on lightly oiled cookie sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes flip and continue baking for 10 minutes or slightly longer until browned all over.

Many many moons ago my x, a handy sort, rigged a large cooler with a lightbulb with a dimmer switch and a remote temp probe so I could make tempehšŸ˜ƒ. It was excellent and spoiled me for the commercial stuff. I did varied beans and the garbanzo version was my favorite- even tho I donā€™t really care for them in any other application.
I think the results were worth the time and effort.

3 Likes

Thanks @Olunia, interesting that Indonesian tempeh recipes in cookbooks may not be so common. Perhaps tempeh is quite regional? Oh, I see that @Presunto said

I think Indonesian tempeh dishes are more home-style kind of meals thatā€™s why they are not often found in cookery books.

Iā€™m tagging @klyeoh here, to ask how common are tempeh dishes in his extensive travels around Indonesia.

1 Like

@Presunto 's and @Olunia 's tempeh balls sound like a good way to use tempeh. Iā€™m curious if the texture is closer to a meatball or to a falafel? or different from either?
edit: oh I read too quickly, @Olunia 's recipe is for tofu balls.

1 Like

@Elsieb ahh, encouraging news to hear, that homemade tempeh is superior to the commercial stuff! As you say, making tempeh does require a way to incubate it at around 30Ā°C; and as you say, there are many possible variations ā€“ garbanzos is one I thought might be good, confirmatory to hear that you liked that best even though they arenā€™t normally your favorite bean! I definitely will get around to making tempeh at some point; this thread may push me over the threshold!

1 Like

Tempeh Burgers

Ingredients:

1 pound tempeh sliced in 1/4 inch slices

1 cup water

1/4 cup Tamari soy sauce

1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger

1 tsp toasted sesame oil

1 cup bread crumbs

1/4 cup tomato paste

2 TBSP peanut butter

2 tsp Dijon mustard

1 tsp dry thyme

Oil for greasing baking tray and for frying

Method:

Preheat oven 350 degrees F

In a shallow baking dish (9x13) marinate tempeh (that has been sliced in 1/4 inch slices) in water, Tamari, ginger powder and sesame oil for 30 minutes to an hour.

10 minutes before tempeh is ready (in a metal bowl) combine: bread crumbs, tomato paste, peanut butter, Dijon mustard and thyme cover and set aside.

Grease a baking tray, remove tempeh from the marinate, bake for 30 minutes @ 350 F flipping at the half way mark and reversing the tray from original baking position as well.

Grind the tempeh in a food processor until it resembles chopped walnuts.

Mix tempeh with ingredients in metal bowl, form into patties and fry in oil until golden brown.

2 Likes

These were delicious.
My husbandā€™s only complaint was that he could only eat one. :laughing:
Iā€™m happy as it saves me money on my grocery budget.
The first one that went in the pan fell apart so I broke it up and fried it like crumbly. It was tasty on top of a salad.
My son even asked if he could add some on top of his burger because it looked like crumpled bacon !
So surprised that he wanted more.

1 Like

Just picked this up on Kindle for under $5.00 and think that I may enjoy cooking through it:

Iā€™ve been reading this book and may make seitan first then tofu (baby steps for me) because tempeh is a little more complicated to make.

2 Likes

Do you just fry it in a pan naked and add to spaghetti sauce or chili?

The tempeh can be marinated or added to the pan without seasoning. Depends on the dish and how much time I have :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks, we enjoy the tempeh tuna because you can eat it either plain or add cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce (or a combo of the vegetables).
Also like switching up the bread.
So far have enjoyed it on multigrain sourdough rye, pita, homestyle with old fashioned grains and potato breads.
Even tried it spread out on celery hearts and endive.
Next time, I think that Iā€™ll switch out the mayo for avocado.
My boys like adding La Vache qui rit cheese spreading it on the bread (which has been toasted) before adding the tempeh filling and veg. toppings.

2 Likes