A comment came up recently that a user wants to look for another forum user, so I am sharing some ways to look for particular users from another forum, e.g. eGullet that you want to invite. Don’t have their contacts? Often you can still find them with googling. The more distinctive the user ID is, the easier.
- Private message them if that forum has private messaging. Most forums do.
- Search for user on eGullet
and private message them.
- Google “user ID”,
- Google “user ID” + any combination of city/ state/ name of person
- Google “user ID” + “forum”
- Google “user ID” + “forum” + any combination of city/ state/ name of person
- Search user ID on Twitter, Yelp. For twitter, note the person may have a numerical suffix to the user ID- e.g. abcde on forum A may be abcde2 on Twitter
Yelp link: https://www.yelp.com/find_friends/
- Facebook. You can send a email to anyone on Facebook regardless whether you are connected to them. See the next post.
If there are other good ways, please feel free to share and I’ll add to the list.
Note: If you reach out this way, you should be explicit why you are contacting them, and how you found them.