Tillamook 2011 (10-year aged cheddar)

I like maple ice cream too. I wonder why I never tried it, or maybe I did and forgot. Back in the day someone made a maple/black walnut ice cream, maybe Carnation. It was so good. Does anyone else remember Carnation ice cream?

I’m pretty sure I remember Carnation ice cream in the context of the individual ice cream cups with the little wooden paddles? Does that sound familiar to you @BeefeaterRocks? Maybe other frozen treats too, not sure that I recall it in half gallon containers though. I definitely remember having maple/black walnut or just black walnut ice cream years ago, but don’t remember the brand.

1 Like

I definitely remember maple walnut ice cream in half gallons. (Actually, these days remembering half gallons marks you as old!) It was probably some time in the 1950s or 1960s. There still seem to be some companies making it.

1 Like

Oh yes, maple nut ice cream for sure in 1/2 gallon containers, probably black walnut too, I just don’t remember the Carnation brand in that size. Prob not paying attention, since I was a young kid. Remember the square cartons, in which you’d get ice cream all over your hands while trying to scoop the last 1/2 out? Cylinders were a huge step
forward.

2 Likes

Yes I remember the little cups and the wooden spoon. I am talking about 1/2 gallon containers, and yes I am old. @eleeper that is the time frame I am thinking about when I was still in California.

1 Like

We would open the container and slice the ice cream.

2 Likes

Very much smarter! :joy_cat:

1 Like

My husband thinks they sold in in square boxes. I only remember the small cups but he is older than me. I do remember the square boxes but not the brand. Could have been Thriftys brand which might have been carnation.

1 Like

Thrifty’s what I remember from my stint in Arizona but when I went to look it up- nothing.

The Thrifty’s brand does seem to still exist, only as ice cream – I don’t think their drug stores have been around for some time. I see it featured at places like gas station minimarts and dollar stores here in NV (and in CA, at Rite-Aid) served up with those cylindrical scoops they used to use. Rite-Aid seems to have bought the name/product, and they do have some of the old flavors, such as Chocolate Malted Crunch. https://www.riteaid.com/thrifty

As for Carnation, I do remember the small cups with wooden spoons in the sixties, but no recollection of larger containers sold at the grocery – we lived in small-town Southern CA at the time. However, going back to the late fifties, I distinctly remember a Carnation scoop store on Adeline in South Berkeley.

1 Like

Only once, unfortunately, have I had Mull of Kintyre, a Scottish cheddar. Very crumbly and nutty. It was featured at Wegmans at the time, and I had just finished the latest in the 44 Scotland Street novel series, so it was a splurchase. Haven’t seen it since; the cheesemonger says they rarely have it, and I rarely shop there, so the stars haven’t aligned. I don’t recall the price but it wouldn’t have been more than $20/#. The wry novels are highly recommended, too.

1 Like

I was intrigued…

2 Likes

Great article – thanks!