Three dinners in Savannah

Thank you all for your suggestions. Here’s where we ended up.

First night The Olde Pink House. It was exquisite! The food was excellent as was the service. We were served a basket of biscuits with soft butter. After eating that I realized I have never had a biscuit before. It was soft in the middle with a little crunch on the ends. We couldn’t stop eating them. Of course we have had biscuits before, but nothing like these.Since we were in the south we had to try fried green tomatoes. Theirs were served as a BLT salad with candied bacon and a light buttermilk dressing. Another first. For mains DH had a filet. He said it was very good, but filet does nothing for me. I had the fried chicken, and, just wow. It had been marinating for 24 hours and it was juicy and crunchy and the fried chicken of my dreams. DH, who, who hates chicken, was even asking for more bites! Too full for dessert, that was, sadly the end of the meal.

Second night - Repeal 33. The place is very hip looking. Small, dark with an incredible bar list. DH had a passion fruit margarita- great. Our server was friendly and very knowledgeable. We opted for all appetizers. I had one, tarte flambé with crème fraiche, onions, bacon, emmentaler cheese and date syrup. DH had mussels in Smokey tomato broth which was good but not Smokey, roasted bone marrow with braised beef cheek - nuff said! And foie gras with blackberry marmalade.

Last night - Vic’s on the River. What a major disappointment! It’s started when the hostess with an attitude was annoyed when we checked in. No greeting at all. We did, however have a table on a window with a water view. Service was amateurish. The server who filled our water glasses spilled quite a bit. Our server noticed my wet bread plate and stuck it in his apron pocket, never to be seen again. When the biscuits came I had hope. Alas, they tasted like Roy Roger’s biscuits. But the honey butter was nice. My husband had the carpaccio appetizer which was fine, but for entrees we both had the jumbo scallops with risotto, lemon herb cream, arugula and truffle oil. The scallops barely had a sear on them, the heavy cream sauce fought with them all the way, there was no truffle flavor and the risotto was pasty. The highlight of the evening was the large map next to our table that was found somewhere in the building and it was from General Sherman’s troups when they were bivouaced there during the civil war.

4 Likes

Glad to hear that Olde Pink House was so good, as we have a reservation in a couple of weeks when we start our drive back north. As I said in another thread, we really liked it the one time we were there 5 or so years ago.
Sorry about Vic’s. Never been and now never will. Thanks for the warning.
At this point, we’ll be staying in Savannah for 2 nights and plan to try Public Kitchen & Bar for our other dinner. If the weather cooperates, we may hit The Perch for drinks first.

1 Like

Please report back! Enjoy!

Bummer! We had a great lunch there but it really depends on who’s in the kitchen. At least your other two nights were good. Repeal 33 didn’t make it onto any of my lists when I was researching, which is weird since DH is a big bourbon fan. Next time!

1 Like

I totally fell in love with Savannah so we will be back. Besides, we never made it to Leopold’s!

2 Likes

We just finished our couple of nights in Savannah while driving back north from Florida. We really like this city and have not had any trouble finding good things to do & see each time we’re here. As for the restaurants, I have no complaints and our 2 meals were certainly much better experiences than our meal last month at The Grey, where expectations were not met (I think I wrote that up elsewhere). Last night, we discovered that we are staying 1 block from Repeal 33, so we stopped in for Happy Hour oysters around 5pm. We loved the bar area, made quick friends, and went back to our hotel room and cancelled tonight’s dinner plans in order to go back there.
But, first, last night’s 8pm dinner at The Olde Pink House: it was mostly very good, but not great. Packed to the gills & without any chance of a bar seat before our reservation. Waitstaff attentive but very young and trying to be very professional - no problem, we just get a kick out of kids acting grownup. Fried oyster app was excellent. She crab soup also very good, but I’m spoiled by Gage & Tollner in Bklyn, where Edna Lewis’ recipe has been re-created and is better. The fried chicken was also very good, although I didnt think the crust was as good as I remember it. Mac n cheese side was also good. My wife’s pork tenderloin was probably done sous vide, as the texture was just not there and the dish wasnt as “porky” as we like. The collards were very good. Wines were fine, overall cost actually lower than it could be. Overall, recommended but I wish it was one or two notches better.
Repeal 33 is on the same block as The Grey. We decided, as I said above, to have dinner there instead of going to The Public. I dont know how good The Public would’ve been, but this place was a find (thanks winecountrygirl). Good wines, cocktails & a very nice bone marrow app., excellent wedge salad & very good NY Strip Steak. I”m impressed.

1 Like

71 weeks ago, according to Insta, our best meal was at Local 11ten. Weird name, great food. Loved the Garganelli, spicy mussels, grouper, carrots. Ok fish and chips

We really enjoyed Repeal 33. Glad you did too. Great bar!