Thread title amendments - by others, not the OP

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. I was only doing what I had been encouraged to do, also trying to clarify. As I said upthread I really don’t care. Never did care. Just trying to help. Won’t make THAT mistake again :wink:

This is, of course, a solution. Currently there are only 34 out of 884 registered users with Regular status. (And @Harters you are indeed one of them).

I’ve only used my “powers” to move threads from the Philadelphia region that clearly belonged elsewhere (i.e, were far from the metro Philly and Delaware locations). Can the OP edit the title outside the usual post edit time? If not, fielding requests to change locations/titles may become burdensome. Perhaps if we all promise to PM the OP asking if (s)he would mind a change to the title?

Given the CH-like headache-inducing thread this has become, I can see why you’d want to turn it off. I think we’re all fine with that as well. Your show, your rules :grinning:

1 Like

Totally agree! Well said.

This story reminds me of the moose turd pie joke told by a pathetic lemming who does not want people to have their own opinion and what is good and what is garbage.

There’s not that many people with “members privileges.” Can we all agree to (1) only edit the location of a title, but not the content, and (2) only add the location when it’s specified in the body of a message, otherwise send a PM to the poster?

We only have one moderator on the site, and this seems an easy way to act as good shepherds and reduce his workload when questions about locations come up.

1 Like

The content cannot be edited by Regulars–only the title and location.

Agreed, a PM to the OP should be required to make sure it makes sense.

This makes sense to me. We don’t want to overwhelm HO with requests to change titles and locations.

I totally agree. The only thing I did “wrong” was to write SFBA rather than SFBA/NorCal. I wanted the OP to get a larger audience than s/he might have. Hopefully will repost if not already.

I agree.

As the site grows and the number of contributors with access to the facility grows, the likelihood of both irritation that a thread has been tampered with, and malicious tampering will grow. In both cases, the tamperer will be generally unknown, unless they choose to make themselves known.

As the site grows, the need for moderators will grow. Overseeing the increased content will become too much for one person. It’s something HO needs to consider.

By the by, Kim mentions Chowhound upthread. Do we not remember the regular complaints from contributors that posts had been amended or deleted by moderators without any contact with the poster. It was something that happened to me on occasions and I would always write to the moderators to complain about their lack of information (usually not getting any reply). Here, we’re saying a whole batch of unknown people might tamper with a thread title, without the OP having any way to complain.

2 Likes

FWIW, the only thing I’ve ever edited were typos :smiley:

3 Likes

Well, typos are another thing entirely. Death to the typo-er :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have no recollection of any of my (too prolific according to Jacq) posts being “tampered” with. Deleted sure. And according to a group that we ‘formed’ we always knew why. And almost always I got a “note from a moderator.”

I’ve found this topic rather curious. I had no idea the sure allowed anyone other than an owner/moderator to change users’ posts. I guess it wouldn’t bother me unless it was my post and the change(s) pissed me off. But I’d think that would go without saying.

I did become curious about this so I searched around to find out how a user could attain the ‘cred’ to have that ‘power’. I found it and quickly concluded I’d never have the time or interest to qualify. So I’ll just wait to be pushed off. :roll_eyes:

I have never figured out or cared to edit any post . Level 3 , lounge . BFD .

1 Like

What’s funny is that I had no idea about any of this until someone told me about it.

I am a little torn about this function. On one hand, it would be better the original poster or the moderator change the title instead. e.g. any of us can ask the original poster or moderator to change it. On the other hand, we only have one main moderator and it can suck up a lot of time for doing these things.

This is similar to many political debates. The “personal freedom” vs the “greater society well being”. Is it more important to original poster to preserve the right to his/her post (even if you think it is wrong), or is it more important “correct” the title for the greater good for the rest of the readers.

It is more important to preserve the right to his or hers post . Less government . PLEASE.

2 Likes

I really need to get my thumb made smaller if I’m going to post via my iPhone. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Correction: a list of most recent regional posts is at the bottom of the Regional page

HO

So, from Midlife’s extract above, does this mean that if I never “like” a post again, I will lose my ability to tamper with titles?

If so, then consider that done. When the mischief starts (as it surely will in due course) I want no-one ever to even consider it might have been me - and this will be the guarantee of that

Regardless of whether posters gain the ability to change titles and/or content over time, HOW ABOUT NO ONE DO IT? Plain and simple. It’s completely presumptuous to do so, along with being rude to do so without asking the OP.

7 Likes