Those darn Scandinavians and their great ideas...

1 Like

In the UK, we also have a growing number of schemes where retailers donate food at the end of their “best before” date. It usually ends up with food banks or other less formally organised charities

1 Like

In addition to a number of places that sell “ugly” produce and the like, we have Too Good To Go, which connects you with restaurants selling deeply discounted food at the end of the day.

3 Likes

The crappy sushi vendor at the mall reduces it’s prices the last 2 hours the mall is open, and people are lined up to stock up.

I buy up the assorted pastry boxes, which include the last of what was available, from one vendor near the end of the farmers’ market.

My usual supermarket now offers their “Imperfectly Tasty” range of veg.

It’s been an issue here for some years. The supermarkets have usually demanded perfect fruit & veg. Previously it wasn’t a problem for farmers to find a market for their imperfect produce. They would sell through the regional wholesale markets and the produce would end up with the likes of my village greengrocer. However, the continued growth in the power of supermarkets has forced the closure of many greengrocers (including mine) so the imperfect produce was simply left to rot.

The chain in Canada that is marketing the imperfect produce is also owned by the 2nd wealthiest family in the country, and they turned a huge profit this past quarter, while asking shoppers to donate a buck or 2 to charity every time they shop at the store.

The imperfect label at this particular store (Loblaws, No Frills, Superstore, ValuMart, Zehr’s, Shoppers Drug, owned by the Westons) is a marketing tool - while the stores are gouging on other items.

I’ve intentionally been shopping elsewhere 90 percent of the time.

The quick sale produce rack at my local indie grocery is full every morning. The meat and dairy that has a best before sticker that’s the current date or the next day is usually reduced by 50%. Bakery items with a fast approaching best before date are often reduced by 30%.

It’s interesting, on the occasions when I’ve been shopping early, to see a see there are often 5 or 6 people driving minivans, mostly from one or 2 immigrant communities, who show up right when the store opens at 9 am, to buy as much discounted produce and meat as possible. They fill their carts. Very different style of shopping than what has been typical in this part of Canada.

Which is undesirable both for waste disposal and for feeding people. Some of our greenmarket vendors sell imperfect produce in bulk, which is great if you’re making mashed potatoes or tomato sauce and don’t really care how pretty the produce is. Or if you just don’t care how pretty the produce is, period.

2 Likes