This Last Earthy Sweetness — THE BITTER SOUTHERNER

2 Likes

Molasses is something I always have on hand. Mainly because it lasts forever. I only use it once a year for a certain Xmas cookie recipe. It also adds a certain depth of flavor to pecan pie (which I don’t make anymore). I like the taste of molasses well enough, but a little goes a long way. Having said all that I did enjoy the article. Thanks.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Leafing through one of those old Junior league type cookbooks today, I came across a recipe for Louisiana beef stew. It called for 1/2 C. of molasses. I thought WTH?? Upon further investigation this seems to be typical. Planning on beef stew this week and will start out with maybe a tsp.and see where it takes us. Will keep you posted.

1 Like

I’m a beef stew fan from toddler times…
Keep me posted :relieved:

1 Like

I enjoyed the article, and wish I could observe the process.

I love to use molasses in wet brines, as the sweet flavor comes through well, unlike brown sugar or maple syrup, in my experience. Especially when using maple syrup, I like it to be a star, or at least a great supporting player. When it completely disappears, I just consider it a waste of a delicious and expensive product.

That said, I LOVE maple syrup and use it frequently in certain recipes.

Love molasses for baked beans, and yes, a bit for pecan pie, among other things.

1 Like

For those who may be interested in the difference between molasses and sorghum. Currently, I have only cane molasses in the pantry, but I’ve had sorghum in the past. Delicious and mild.

Food and Wine on the Difference Between Sorghum and Molasses

2 Likes