This food magazine analyzed America’s best and worst cities for BBQ. People...

Funny stuff

2 Likes

Ah, I see they analysed Tripadvisor ratings. Yep, that’ll find you great food anywhere.

1 Like

These folks are from Australia writing about American que and managed to make complete fools of themselves.
The bias of reviews and the lack of understanding of bbq culture made this a textbook example of missing the whole point. :slight_smile:
I’m sure the Houston contingent has some thoughts on this.

1 Like

I try not to be elitest about food cultures, whether it is mine or someone else’s. I think it would be awful if we had to feel that the correct ethnicity was needed to comment on a dish. But, of course, it’s a fairly regular occurance that someone does comment and finds that it has offended. By the by, if you look through here and, prior to that, Chowhound. you will find that this Northern Englishman has reviewed BBQ restaurants in the States and the UK. I am generally scathing about the latter and occasionally scathing about the former. What I don’t do is rely on Tripadvisor (except in complete desperation - which has happened more often than I care for when I’ve visited small towns in the States and been unable to find info anywhere else).

2 Likes

In this case, it wasn’t just the traditional centers of power being dissed, but the elevation of these non Q cities,
Data isn’t necessarily the whole story.
:cowboy_hat_face:

But I think it actually is in this case. If you follow the methodology of what the Aussies did in analysing Tripadvisor ratings, you will get some very weird shit.

It’s only a couple of years ago that TA rated the Black Swan in North Yorkshire (UK) as the best restaurant in the world. Now, I believe it is pretty good (I’ll let you know next month when I’ve been there). And it does hold a single Michelin star. It may possibly be the best restaurant in Yorkshire but that’s as far as the “best” is going to spread (and there would be strong competition even there)

1 Like

Best of something like a restaurant, chef’s knife, car, beef, city, island etc is largely a subjective opinion made in a snapshot in time. The difference between top ten restaurants in the world on anyone’s list is probably indiscernible. Congratulations to the Black Swan and I hope you enjoy your experience.

2 Likes