Things you dehydrate

How do you use tomato powder?
As you would tomatoes, or in other ways?

1 Like

Yes, I add it to sauces, soups, chili and the like. It takes up a little less space in powder form but still has all the tomato taste.

1 Like

Fresh herbs. Bananas. Apples. Peaches. Fish.

This morning apples with a dusting of cinnamon. 200 degree oven for an hour, flip over apples and

dry another hour. Turn off oven leave in box another hour. Dust w cinnamon. Air dry before canistering.

2 Likes

Yesterday, decided to dehydrate 5 pineapples since I found them at .99 at HT.
Dried them for 17 hours.
Most difficult was chopping off their heads.

They were delicious. Today I think I will try dehydrating sweet potato chips for my 2 Pomeranians . They are not particularly fond of fruits, son gives them blueberries but they turn their nose u in the air. Wolfie may eat a piece of fuyu as my son only eats the center part to my dismay. Any treats I get for them that has apples, or berries, they are not interested unless it is duck fillet! So, wil try sweet potato chips.

5 Likes

The trim on the bottom of your cabinets ( I think) is beautiful! What is that?

Last time I bought pineapples on sale I made pineapple vinegar. Anyone e else tried that?

no, have never tried pineapple vinegar but love spicy coconut vinegar
Just found out I may be allergic to pineapple ( have auto immune disease. My immune system keeps on thinking the and that is allergen and attacks releasing histamine)
while getting it ready, my fingers were red and itchy
they are delicious, but sort of tasted spicy after taste and then has sore on my tongue
My son did not have any of that feeling. I had same problem with. handling tomatoes as well as their leaves, I get blisters.
The cabinets are Poggenpohl German Cabinets installed in 1990. They are great.I had specified I want something that is shiny, kitchen people gave me a choice go German Poggenpohl and Italian but I opt for German as they are sturdier, no nonsense and at time, unheard of course they engineered it so I can have hydraulic lifts on my Kitchen Aid and kick plates were cabinets as well.
Come 2008, I decided I want a facelift. Poggnpohls were still great, softer researching, I found mother of pearl veneers and abalone veneers from Hawaii that came from Australia. T&he company did Ringo Starr’s drums. I commissioned my carpenter to do mother of pearl for the cabinets, abalone for the existing handles, trims and kick plate. Even the bar sink was redone in abalone. ! It was a lot of work since I have a huge kitchen but worth it as they are very easy to clean. THis is just one of 6 sections of poggenpohl in kitchen. Wet%20Bar%20in%20Paua|700x525

3 Likes

Very good advice!

@bcc My starter died some 2 months ago, due to negligence. Finally I’ve to admit, I baked less sourdough bread than I believe.

1 Like

When the pandemic hit, and there was no yeast to be found, dried sourdough starter was very popular with my friends.

I’m one of those people who frequently dehydrates. I had to laugh at the comment upthread about the scotch-bonnets. When we do ghost peppers (goggles and gloves required), we won’t even do it in the house. Way too potent.

Yes to scallions, also. I can’t seem to ever make enough of those. Onions, in general, when drying are another thing that stink up the house.

Beef and fish jerky = yes.

Fruits and berries = yes.

Right now we are out of almost everything we dried last year, a good indication that it gets used. There are a few handfuls left of strawberries and Asian pears for snacking, which won’t last long, and one lonely jar of kale flakes. I’ve already started drying this years chives, but I don’t use a dehydrator for that - just spread them out on a sheet pan for a few days.

In short, if it’s going to go bad, and I can’t freeze it or reasonably can it, I’ll dry it.

3 Likes

Oh so exquisite! I’ve never seen something like that! Then again, we’ll probably never remodel our 1980’s ‘perm mentality’ crappy wood trimmed paneled kitchen.

Persimmons were my favorite.

I have dehydrated food stuffs for decades. I purchased the first dehydrater in 1992 for putting up an abundance of home grown tomatoes, that I wasn’t canning. Too hot to can, so I dehydrated on the back porch, out of the house. I also ground many slices to make ‘instant’ spaghetti seasoning. I moved on to produce on sale: pineapple slices dipped in teriyaki sauce, many purchased mushrooms and hand picked morels (grinding up many others dried for mushroom powder), all sorts of apples, pears, bananas, lemon, orange and lime slices, mango slices (the ataulfo type), papaya slices, yams (baked in the oven first to release the sugars) carrots, zuke slices and shredded zuke, green onions, red, yellow and white onions, all types of bell peppers, apricot puree for fruit leathers, fennel, kale, chives, leeks, broccoli ( not so great) rhubarb, cherries (pitted), strawberries, beef strips with teriyaki to make backpacking jerkey, just to name a few. The old dehydrator still going strong after almost 30 years with the addition of a few more trays. I’ve also dehydrated other herbs and flowers, also.

2 Likes

Ginger. Freshly dried ginger has a real citrus aroma and a lot more flavour than anything you can buy. After the ginger is crispy dry, it gets ground in a conical burr grinder to a powder. Worth the work.

1 Like