There are certain things that must be shared.

It’s those tiny little toenails that kinda’ gross me out !!

I’ve never seen them labeled like this in a store, but I knew that they are referred to as chicken paws by Chinese wholesale buyers, also that Tyson is the major supplier to China. There’s a great (if disturbing) book about Tyson Foods by the way called The Meat Racket:

https://www.amazon.com/Meat-Racket-Takeover-Americas-Business/dp/1451645813

The cover (and the blurb) make it look as though it’s about the meat industry generally, and maybe even the beef industry more specifically - but it is about the chicken business and Tyson Foods more than anything else.
All I can say is - if any of you are thinking of going into chicken production - you DON’T want to sell to Tyson Foods. EVER. Not unless you want to be driven out of business and lose your farm on top of it.

Welcome to why I love these boards… y’all are a wealth of information…thank you!!!

I was a rookie export trader some 30 years ago. One day, I received a fax inquiry from my counterpart in Hong Kong, wanting to order a continuous stream of multiple containers of chicken feet (paws). For a short time, I was in heaven!! I had delusions of chicken suppliers paying me to dispose of the chicken feet for them. Talk about counting one’s chickens before they hatched!!!

My bubble quickly bursts after a few phone calls. Chicken feet are committed to contract years in advance. What is available on the spot market is so high that our customers would laugh at our quotations.

I then had the bright idea to try Brazil, a major poultry producer. Their feet were all locked up years in advance as well. Exporting is challenging and fun, but sure can make one feel stupid when learning the ropes.

2 Likes

My Bubbe (Yiddish for grandmother) used to use chicken feet for soup all the time. I’m sure someone ate them as she wouldn’t waste anything but I don’t remember ever having them.

1 Like

Feeslech were a delicacy. I managed to avoid it.

Lucky you!