The World’s Stinkiest Cheese

I would like to try it.

3 Likes

Time for a trip to ASDA, perhaps. Or perhaps not.

2 Likes

My husband once smuggled an unpasteurized camembert back from Montreal.
I almost fell over from the smell when he opened his suitcase! Sure tasted good though.

Was it a carry-on? :scream: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :no_mouth:

See a related discussion on the Boston board:

Hooligan is one of my favorite cheeses. But I am not allowed to eat it in the house if my partner is home. He really, really, really does not like the smell.

You could always say it is you who is stinking up the place, not the cheese, thus allowing you to both enjoy your Hooligan and simultaneously test the depth of your partner’s love.

Or you could do as I did (I, too, have an inexplicably Hooligan-averse partner) – obtain a daughter who from age 6 loves Hooligan. The two-against-one vote in the family has allowed my daughter and me to enjoy Hooligan for 20 years. Things are shaky now, though. Hooligan has gone from being a year-round treat to a seasonal one, and my daughter has moved to her own apartment. The closest I’ve come to it this fall is having a wheel shipped to my daughter at her new pad.

2 Likes

Without doubt, but Camembert can’t beat Vieux Lille. I can eat the smelly Maroilles (same family as VL), but dislike Vieux Lille, not only the smell but it is way too salty.

This sounds like a solid strategy, but unfortunately that ship has sailed.

There was a Stilton that was once left byvaccident in the roomate’s pick up truck. It was a holiday package sent by a relative, tossed behind the driver’s seat and forgotten. Hooboy…you know the story about how you can’t get the smell of a dead fish out of a car? We still have the truck. It still stinks.

1 Like

I love Maroilles. It’s a cheese we always bring back from visits to the area. I’ve never been to the village but have visited nearby Cambrai and Valenciennes ( and the rural areas around both, in connection with my interest in the Great War).

Is there a metric for odor? How do you measure “ stinkiest”.Maybe one man’s Limburger is another man’s roses, (maybe not.)

1 Like

And how would the durian measure to some of the cheeses on the stinky meter?