The Very Real, Totally Bizarre Bucatini Shortage of 2020

The ecology of the wheat and its GMO status certainly have nothing to do with the texture of pasta. Wheat is not interested in politics, humans are - only if we start boiling humans will politics affect the texture of the food.

The type of wheat, and the specific cultivar within that type, probably makes a difference. How finely ground the wheat was will probably matter too. The thickness and shape of the pasta matters for sure. “Lenta lavorazione” sounds like it might be just attractive words from the marketing department, but it’s possible that the speed at which the pasta is shaped and dried affects the way it later absorbs water. Water chemistry, especially salted vs unsalted, can make a difference too.

Good ecology matters for the continued existence of life, but it makes zero difference to your pasta.

2 Likes

The place I mentioned above has imported bucatini. Message me if you want the address or want some shipped. Sorry but I don’t know who much it is package.

3 Likes

I had no idea, and I used to live there.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

3.90 €uros - Ecological Made in Italy; Available in Barcelona … !
500 grams = 1 / 2 kilo.

BUCATINIECOLOGICAL00113310302453____2__600x600 BUCATINIECOLOGICAL00113310302453____2__600x600|600x600

Buco = hole.

BUCATINI: is a durum wheat thick spaghetti like pasta from LAZIO. It has 2 holes, one on each end of the Spaghetti ribbon.

PERCIATELLI: This thick spaghetti (a little thicker than Bucatini) with 2 holes on each end is from NAPOLI.

HOWEVER, IF THERE IS A SHORTAGE - PERCIATELLI IS THE NEXT BEST IF YOU CAN FIND IT …

THE DURUM WHEAT GRAIN IS FROM ITALY.

BARILLA & GARFALO & DE CECCIO: They have 2 brands; one in which they use Canadian Wheat and one in which they use ITALIAN DURUM. IT IS CLEARLY MARKED ON THE PACKAGE.

THERE is a symbol on ITALIAN WHEAT MADE PASTA ON THE PACKAGES. IT WILL SAY, MADE IN ITALY, THE EUROPEAN UNION.

MS. BEAN´s BRAND IS MADE IN ITALIA.

2 Likes

The next shortage? Lol…

1 Like

Who is bored by spaghetti :spaghetti:?
Perhaps Dan has a bit too much time on his hands.

2 Likes

Ha! Got something against reading @bbqboy? Anywho, I never believed there was a shortage of any pasta but IG def helped lift the profile and rush to buy bucatini at any price! This article gave me an equally good chuckle.

1 Like

I just wonder what Italy will think of an upstart American deciding that what the World needs is a new pasta shape, implying that their 100’s of years of work is not needed anymore. :smiley:
PS: I was referring to the host of Sporkful, not you.
Too many Dans!

Very funny. It’s a big, crazy world my friend. Never too many Dan’s, btw…

Turns out to be quite the passion project.

1 Like
1 Like

I hold by my assertion that he has too much time on his hands. :slight_smile:

Ha! Inventing a new pasta shape for the open market sounds pretty fun to me.

Oh, I agree. I’m just a not at all serious sourpuss.
Or maybe curmudgeon.

But they grow good hard white durham’s the interior of the Northwest; I wonder why the “Arizona” stuff is so much better.

1 Like

So, after seeing the media on this new pasta, I ordered 4 boxes. ETA at the time of ordering was 6 weeks; actually took more than 12 weeks.
And how IS this new Cascatelli pasta form, you ask? Well, fun. My only critique is that they are using NY wheat, and I find the flavor of the pasta alone to be a bit bland compared to the best Italian ones I use. The sauce makes this irrelevant.
I gave some boxes to other chefs I know to see how they find it.
Anyone else tried it?