The Very Real, Totally Bizarre Bucatini Shortage of 2020

Recently, ordered online some Rummo bucatini!
Glad with the price but need to buy a lot of them.

1 Like

Is this saying you bought 12 kg of bucatini? (roughly 25 pounds)

Or did you buy that whole list of around 80 pounds of assorted pasta?

Hehe! I did. I can’t find Rummo in shops easily or just random packages in different times. With the semi lockdown, I saw pasta consumption increased a lot!

2 Likes

Bucatini recipe.

3 Likes

Saved - that looks good @Rooster; googled up green seasoning, and it looks interesting! Recipes for homemade too. Here:Trinidad Green Seasoning

• The best substitute is fresh cilantro . Culantro has a slightly stronger flavor so you may want to adjust the amount of cilantro to taste.
  • Dried cilantro is NOT a good substitute.
1 Like

Looks like we both figured it out. Spiked mac n cheese? Looking for a switch.

We enjoyed the bucatini this way tonight.

1 Like

With my nice (now) stash of bucatini, I’ll be giving it a try, along with green seasoning. I mean, what could be bad with those ingredients?? Thanks for posting, I never woulda thunk it!! :hot_pepper:

1 Like

34.99 € For 24 paquets @ 500 grams per paquet is a great deal however, that is alot of pasta !!

However, Pasta in general has a very long shelf life. Check the expiration date.

NOW, is this shipment coming from Italy ?

As the difference is; ITALIAN PASTA MADE FROM ITALIAN FLOUR does NOT have added iron or Fortifying ingredients.

This is why I avoid DE CECCI Brand unless, it is produced totally with ITALIAN WHEAT for ITALY AND E.U. as there are NO additives.

The Usa FDA (federal drug administration) has another “food protocol” …

@naf Someone is going to get a big surprise when they break into your “secret closet” and find 35 kg of pasta :smile:

1 Like

Exactly! :rofl:

1 Like

This’s an interesting question. The new order hasn’t arrived yet, so I checked with the Rummo package I have with me now. Everything is written in Italian. With my limited understanding: the wheat is from Italy, Australia and Arizona. The grinding is done in Italy.

1 Like

Countries of Cultivation of grain: Union of Europe and Non Union of Europe:

Italy, Australia and Arizona …

I have never seen this before however, many pasta corporations purchase wheat from more than one source; unless it is an ecological boutique grower or an ecological Italian company which produces only from Italian wheat.

Most exports have to abide by the countries Agricultural Ministers that they are exporting too.

Italy shipping to France … Yes.

Some types of wheat don’t grow that well in Italy - it matters more for high-gluten bread flour because that’s the main difficulty for Italian wheat farming, but I guess once you are importing wheat, you use it wherever it makes sense.

1 Like

Italian wheat is usually used for bread and baking pastries of all types and of course pizza dough. Foreign wheat is not used in pizza making or breads or pastries …

No gluten issues (us) so we do not eat gluten free.

Spain is quite capable of self production and grows it own wheat and we have grown considerably in the ecological wine sector as well. We also have Pizzas call Cocas … They are similar to a Sicilian type.
And an enormous bakery goods industry. We like our bread at lunch time.

I noticed that some cooked pasta are more firm (al dente) than others, do you know if it’s due to the type of the wheat used, or rather, the method “Lenta Lavorazione” they used to make pasta?

The last estimate I saw was that Caputo (for example) was milling about 70% North American wheat, and 30% local wheat.

(that estimate was probably old, but it’s very hard to find information that’s up to date.)

Good question …

Never have thought about it …

I believe it has to do with more than one factor; however, the wheat would surely play the most important key role.

Is the wheat ecological ? Is the wheat natural or are the seeds created with msg chemicals ?

Then the way the product is produced (lenta = slowly - worked lavore ) at a factory level … and also the water in which a home user boils the pasta in too …

Have a nice weekned.

1 Like