The Very British Culture Magazine Disguised as a Food Newsletter

Not the best interview, but the newsletter - https://vittles.substack.com/ - seems like an interesting read:

(And cheers for the link to J. Gold’s wonderful piece on Korean food in Los Angeles: https://www.laweekly.com/jonathan-golds-60-korean-dishes-every-angeleno-should-know/)

2 Likes

As on most occasions, where someone writes about British food for an American audience, it actually isnt about “British food” but “London food”. London is a different country to the rest of the UK. I’d be happy if it declared its independence.

1 Like

Couldn’t we all subscribe to this comment, tailored to our own communities.

2 Likes

Possibly, pilgrim, but I only know my own country to make the comment.

I don’t believe Vittles is aiming or claiming to write about “British” food for an American audience. Their articles seem diverse and are written by a range of authors. For instance, their article about issues in the “Bean to Bar” chocolate movement was quite thoughtful and certainly has global relevance. I find much of the writing to be excellent; definitely worth a look and more interesting than the Taste interview makes it appear.

1 Like

They may not be claiming it - although both articles linked to in the OP clearly are.

1 Like

That’s because most Americans who visit the UK have only been to London. I am sure that some HO will pipe up to say that they have been to the Isle of Wight or the Lake District or Cornwall, but I suspect my statement still holds. What most Americans know about the UK is little more than the Square Mile. That holds even for me who used to work there.

At the same time, most Brits I know think the US is characterized by either NY, LA or Disney. Rarely do they visit places like the small town I’m from. Harters we know is different.

But for the masses, generalities work but its makes them comfortable as everything fits what they already “know.”

1 Like

Absolutely. It’s NYC or “theme park Florida” (not even other parts of the state, like the Keys)

2 Likes

I’d be interested in reading it, but not paying for it. There’s definitely a London focus (and I’ll bet that as they attempt to deal with Britain, it will just be some guest writers from the North of England, or maybe some dispatches from the Lake District). That said, some of the pieces are of interest: What are the Malaysian places beyond Roti King that would be a good substitute? Not that I’ve been down there recently, but oh so good. What are chefs saying about Boiling Point? (I enjoyed although found it so stressful.) There’s even a history of JFlores (Chowhound) which I want to see. But yeah, not paying, so there you go.

1 Like

Until I clicked on the link, I was very confused. Gold has been dead for a while and I was like WTF?

1 Like

London is a different country to the rest of the UK.

Most definitely. I live in a self imposed exile with no end in sight. :no_good_man:t3:

2 Likes

I’m just now reading this thread. That Jonathan Gold column was a tour de force - it’s been years since I’d read it so I re-read it. Thanks for pointing out that compendium of LA Korean food @ElsieDee.

3 Likes