The ubiquitous, 5 quart Dutch oven

I’d like to know what that is… as well.
I use my (old jiggler weight) pressure cooker to make Orange/Mango beef, chicken and pork. It infuses the protein with flavor. Moreover, its a quick way to put a hot meal on the table.
I hadn’t noticed any unpleasant tastes or issues.

1 Like

Tastes like a musty bathroom closet smells.

1 Like

That might more a reflection of low quality ingredients perhaps but that doesn’t happen through the use of pressure cooker

I’ve seen him comment on this before but with a bit more explanation, something about having a lot of empty enclosed headspace causing an off flavor. I don’t know as I’ve ever noted this, either with a pressure cooker or a DO.

Maybe the gasket needed cleaning.

2 Likes

Unless you don’t know how to use one. There’s that workman blaming the tools thing

3 Likes

I have a 5qt oval ECI from Le Creuset. I use it more than any other of my ECI pans. Great for stews, soups, pasta sauces, bread baking etc. I generally cook for 4-6, generous portions.
I think the answer here is really dependent upon what you’re making, and for how many people.

3 Likes

I had a 5 qt knockoff Le Creuset that I rarely used. It got Buy Nothing’ed. Too big for my household and I either reach for my stove top pressure cooker or a smaller stainless clad pan.

1 Like

You mean making it up again, in order to claim super tasting powers “every time”.

Let’s wait for an explanation of why food made in a clean ECI pot (regardless of ullage) would taste like a musty room.

1 Like

That sounds like a scientifically valid explanation…

1 Like

I dunno. I’m just a home cook and he’s a pro, so I’m sure he’s got a rationale for it.

Or not. People just dislike certain things sometimes, or never learned to use them properly.

1 Like

No, not at all. Offer a testable theory that might explain what he’s claimed.

Mind you, no one was discussing pressure cookers. Such a taste fault in PC’d preps MIGHT be a valid theory based on the difficulty of getting gaskets, valves and vents truly clean. No so with a simple ECI pot and cover.

If I run a chemical reaction in the lab and the flask or syringe are not clean and so ultimately you get a lot of by products you would get laughed out of the lab by any chemist if you would claim the problem are flasks in general but not a user error. Same with the pressure cooking if you get off smells due to unclean equipment it is not the “fault” of the pressure cooker but user error/lazy cook

That’s not what Charlie was talking about.

Why would anyone defend dirty cookware?

Got a valid theory about why a clean 5Q ECI Dutch oven with a lot of ullage would reek of a dirty closet? Neither does he.

You don’t really seem to follow the point of discussion - the only question is why somebody claims that a pressure cooker would always infuse “Tastes like a musty bathroom closet smells.”

1 Like

It appears that he’s actually agreeing with you.

OK, don’t take “yes” for an answer.

The point we were trying to discuss was Charlie’s doozer of a statement that went:

“Cooking in too large a pot leaves a cheap, pressure cooker taste behind.”

And that was after he set the stage by speculating that the 5.5Q ECI Dutch oven was too large.

1 Like

I hypothesize that a cook braising with too large a pot is that same cook who doesn’t trim the meat properly, did not brown the meat, filled the pot too full for a braise but not full enough for a stew, and let the pot boil. Grey, overcooked beef may end up smelling like mystery meat in school cafeterias.

4 Likes

I love my Staub Dutch ovens. It almost makes me like winter.

5 Likes