The Superior Allium

Ttrockwood, your post inspired me to try leeks vinaigrette. I was hesitant because our daughter hates onions, although she does love garlic. Well, the leeks turned out pretty good. I liked them, my wife was ok with them, and our daughter really liked them! So it was a success. Merci!

1 Like

3 kinds of Chinese chives, the flowering kind, the regular chives and the yellow ones.
I use the regular chives when making oyster omelet ( together with bean sprouts, oysters, egg and sweet potato starch), or just in plain scrambled eggs and in sautéed dish of pork , shrimp etc. They are also good in dumplings .The yellow kind is even better but expensive. They just have a stinking smell which some people object to. I am sure I have some flowering chives popping up here and there in the garden but have not tried to use them. Unless 100% sure, I am reluctant to use them.

That’s great! Glad you enjoyed it too :))

I have an aversion to a few allium species. I like garlic, some fried onions, and fresh chives are as far as I go.

Could be interesting to you: paprika is not the most important ingredient in Hungarian cuisine, it’s the onions and garlic. A town in Hungary is famous for its onions and garlic.

(My book Culinaria Hungary)

1 Like