The Sparrowhawk- Crystal Palace [London]

This pub was taken over and revamped a few years ago. I have popped in for a drink on the odd occasion, usually for a pre dinner drink. The space is a bit cavernous and there’s a few high wooden tables that makes it feel a bit like an All Bar One, not all that convivial. However as our usual eating pub has gone downhill both food and service wise we decided to give it a go.

I have been twice in last couple of weeks and had the same dish both times. Confit duck with red cabbage and potato dauphinoise. On both occasions the skin on the duck was crisp and the meat nice and succulent. The red cabbage could of been a bit sharper to cut through the fat 1st time but was spot on 2nd time. The dauphinoise both times was lovely and browned on top with soft potatoes underneath and perfectly seasoned on each layer, which is unfortunately not always the case. The missus liked her burger and the prawn linguine on our two visits. As an added bonus they also do a decent pint of Harveys best bitter. Service was smooth and friendly. Not amazing but good food cooked well.This place has definitely grown on me.