The Sorry State of Rye Bread in Westchester

Whole Foods and, oddly, Stop and Shop both carry a good seeded rye — and it can be taken home in a paper bag.

1 Like

My mother (contrarian that she is), used to have the bread sliced lengthwise. Orwashers used to be able to do that (I’m sure they no longer are able to do that on the newer machines. Also used to be able to ask for a melba cut - thinner slices AH PROGRESS. I agree about wf, and the bags can be left open slightly so it does not ruin the crust.

1 Like

Yes, they did. I,used to make an hors d’oeuvre that was a pinwheel with smoked salmon and cream cheese and it was rolled in rye bread and sliced. I had Orwashers slice it lengthwise. The used to be great. Last time I was there they no longer had wax bags for the bread. They used plastic. I was sick!

1 Like

Panera is anything but a bread store - The few times we tried them for their bread it was just horrible

1 Like

If you can sweet talk a friend/relative/stranger who goes in and out of grand central to stop at the bread counter in the Great Northern Food Hall, meyers bageri, they make the most amazing rye bread ever. It’s a dense heavy loaf from all rye flour. All their breads i have tried are really amazing…
http://greatnorthernfood.com/food-and-beverage-2/

1 Like

Agreed. But their Asiago crust is really tasty. I basically eat just the crust. Their bagels are a joke!

I’m going Tuesday! But alas, my turkey will be gone! But I will try it!

Gwenn-
I’m not certain, but I don’t think it is anything like a traditional Jewish Rye. Another recommendation ,in Grand Central is Bien Cuit- they are at some farmer’s markets here, but I tried their croissants and the ones in GC were far superior to what was at the farmer’s markets. Be forewarned - both are $$$,and for the trifecta Eli’s (zabars) baguette/ficelle are much better from GC… Hmmm perhaps a “local” delivery service going up and down the train stops!

Thanks Rich. I’m in GC often and love zabars breads. Unfortunately, the day after turkey day when I want a fresh rye for my turkey I’m still stuck with the rye I got. It was tasty, I have to say, just stupid small and crust was not great.

Shoot, too late for sandwiches but definitely stop by there and get whatever loaf appeals- most are rather dense heavier loaves, and not especially cheap but IMO also worth it.
They make a cardamom twisted sweet roll they’re well known for that’s fantastic too. Obvs i am a bit obsessed…!!

1 Like