the price of pasta

I buy pasta wholesale & the price is up 35% since the pandemic.

Speaking ofā€¦

6 Likes

Tangent: the price of a plate of pasta at a restaurant. Itā€™s creeping up in Toronto. It used to be in the $18 Cdn- $22 Cdn range in Toronto. I will check the exchange rate later, but roughly $13 USD- $18 USD.

The numbers on the menus in Toronto and New York or LA are usually similar, and given the cost of NYC and LA, Iā€™d like expect to be paying $15 $25 USD per plate. Less in a place like Billings or Buffalo.

I was looking some Italian restaurants prices in Toronto, and pastas are now running $28 Cdn to $42 Cdn a plate at many mid- upscale spots. It still can be found for less in the burbs, but I was surprised that some Italian restaurants in Torontoā€™s Little Italy (College St), that are not particularly known, and have not been mentioned on HO, are charging over $28 Cdn for pasta.

3 Likes

I donā€™t order pasta a lot in restaurants, but I feel like the prices I see, at least in Asheville, are higher than this on average. I was at a place that had hand-pulled noodles for $45. Granted itā€™s a very buzzy restaurant, butā€¦no.

5 Likes

Goodness! Iā€™d probably not blink at $30 (Iā€™m in Manhattan), but thatā€™s high! Asheville does have awfully nice restaurants, though.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I think Iā€™ll start creating my own pasta now. I have the equipment and accoutrements, just need to make the time. Iā€™m looking forward to experimentations. Spinach, lentil, squashā€¦

3 Likes

I paid a visit to the local Wallyā€™s World today and saw boxed, dried pasta prices were way down from my last visit. Store brand, Great Value, for 1# box of everyday shapes and sketti was 84Ā¢ a box. Barilla brand was $1.87 for same. Iā€™m still going to try crafting my own.

1 Like

Rustichella dā€™Abruzzo Fusilli col Buco Was over $13 for 500 grams on Amazon during the height of the pandemic. Itā€™s now slightly cheaper, but there are other brands that cost way less. For the uninitiated, itā€™s like long corkscrew bucatini.

1 Like

This is very old news. From what I:m seeing, they have made a major turnaround, and have gotten a ā€œMost Improvedā€ from Huffington Post. I mention this because one problem with boycotts is that even when the company takes action and changes their stanr, the boycott has acquired a life of its own. (E.g.
, people were still boycotting AT&T for donating to Planned Parenthood a decade after AT&T had stopped.)

2 Likes

I never stated that I supported or didnā€™t support a boycott of Barilla. I tried it once and found it mushy and flavorless. I havenā€™t bought it since.

What I said was that when their CEO made his idiotic, homophobic statements I saw it marked down to $.99 per pound.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t commenting on your support or opposition to the boycott. I was pointing out that basically there is currently no longer a call for that boycott, since people seeing that article may not realize how old it is.

1 Like

Molisiana pasta says that itā€™s pasta is made with 100% Italian wheat grown in fields that are not treated with Glyphosate (roundup). Further the dies through with the pasta pases are bronze, not teflon. There is more resistance going through bronze than teflon and as a result the pasta has a tooth that hold the sauce better.

5 Likes

Interesting to know, thanks!

Expect pasta prices to increase in the foreseeable future.

We can all thank the little tissy-fit that Russia and Ukraine are having with one another.

1 Like

Iā€™ve hearing that for months and havenā€™t noticed a spike in pasta prices. I bought up a bunch of packaged pasta last spring. What Iā€™ve seen is flour, whole wheat and unbleached white, go way up.
World politics shouldnā€™t dictate how we eat, and yet it has been going on for centuries. I remember The Hunger Project being a popular ā€˜causeā€™ for college students and did it end hunger twenty something years later?

Thatā€™s my source, too. Aldiā€™s is a must stop for certain things. Mushrooms for $1.29. Partially opened, some of them. Harvest those spores. Love pasta with almost any mushrooms. I especially get pumped when I find oysters (the mushroom) in good shape. That anise flavor works wonders.