The Philly Cheesesteak: What is it and where's the best?

Just to be clear, I was in no way commenting on the quality of cheesesteaks. Only the origin, and thus the authenticity of certain ingredients.

It seems there are different opinions about the ā€œcheeseā€ for the cheesesteak. However, so far it seems there isnā€™t much disagreement with the ā€œsteakā€, correct?

So everyone agree it should be shaved ribeye?

Rib eye is the overwhelming choice. Some use a cut called ā€œloin tailā€.

The only real meat-debate is whether or not to chop. Most places will chop the meat into little bits with the edge of the spatula. Patā€™s and Genoā€™s donā€™t, they serve the meat slices whole. I suspect volume is a deciding factor. Selling over a thousand steaks in a single day, that would be a lot of chopping.

yeah

According to Frank Oliveri Jr., Wiz was the original ā€œcheeseā€. That makes it ā€œrealā€.

Patā€™s Steaks is offering veggie-steaks!

http://www.passyunkpost.com/2016/01/07/order-it-wit-kelp-granules-pats-steaks-starts-a-guest-chef-series/#comments

The Four Horsemen have left the barnā€¦

2 Likes

So what exactly is on this vegetarian ā€œcheesesteakā€? There will be sautĆ©ed broccoli rabe, avocado, red onion, cilantro, mango, kelp granules, lime juice and Muenster cheese topped with a farm fresh egg and tucked into an Aversaā€™s Bakery roll. - See more at: http://www.passyunkpost.com/2016/01/07/order-it-wit-kelp-granules-pats-steaks-starts-a-guest-chef-series/#comments

Sorry, that is most definitely NOT a cheesesteak (which by definition should include both cheese and steak). Kelp granules???

1 Like

Welcome to a world where wordsā€™ meanings are diluted to the point on meaninglessness. ā€˜Dutch ovenā€™ comes to mindā€¦

Once overheard at another establishment someone order the ā€œvegan cheesesteak, on a gluten-free rollā€.
The menu clearly stated the sandwich was made of seitan and soy cheeseā€¦

I was just listening to NPR on something like what you have mentioned: broccoli rabe, avocado, red onion, cilantro, mango, kelp granules, lime juiceā€¦

Iā€™m just sayin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zAFA-hamZ0

I grew up in California, and for years, when I heard the words ā€œPhilly cheesesteakā€*, I thought that it was a huge cut of cheese. Like the way a beefsteak is a huge tomato. Later, when I learned it was a sliced beef sandwich with cheese, I assumed the cheese used was Philadelphia cream cheese.

There is nothing definite about what constitutes a Philly cheesesteak if you didnā€™t grow up with it, going by word elements alone.

You lost me there. Why is that ā€œdiluted to the point of meaninglessnessā€ --? Just curious. Iā€™m confused as to what your meaning is.

What is now sold as a Dutch oven almost always lacks all three features which originally distinguished it, namely stubby legs, a rimmed top, and a bail.

1 Like

Agreed. But the use of a Dutch oven has morphed from fireplace to oven. So legs are an impediment and the rimmed top pointless.

I guess you could find a new nameā€¦preferably something French. How about* cocotte*?

Thanks. Wasnā€™t aware of that, so the reference was lost on me. Like Philly cheesesteaks, as a kid, I thought Dutch ovens were those beautiful massive tile stoves one sees in paintings.

I agree that they morphedā€“hence my point that the term is nearly meaningless.

Disagree about pointless and impedimentary features, though. The original form was widely sold and used even after the spread of ovens and the decline of hearth cooking. The legs kept the vessel off the oven floor, and the rimmed cover provided yet another place to bake at the same time or on itā€™s own as a skillet or gridiron. The bail made pouring and carrying easier, even if the pan was never hung by it. They were the one pot that a family could easily get by with, and therefore the first choice to spend money on.

Indeed, the rimless, legless, bail-less form should be called something different, like ā€˜cocotteā€™. But now the original form is mostly called ā€˜camp ovenā€™.

Aloha,
Kaleo

Tomorrow, get your Marc Vetri cheesesteaks: http://www.passyunkpost.com/2016/01/20/order-it-wit-fried-mortadella-marc-vetri-guest-chef-for-pats-on-thursday/

What about ā€˜French Ovenā€™? Surely, its definition has not been diluted.

Hi, Chem:

I think ā€˜French Ovenā€™ was born pre-diluted. It was totally made up, in modern times, by Le Creuset as a marketing/branding label. I donā€™t think any such term exists in French.

Will Copenhaver of Le Creuset says, ā€œFrench Oven is a qualifier historically used to reference higher-end enameled round ovens manufactured in France. Le Creuset recently switched back to the term Dutch oven in US consumer communications in the interest of being consistent with the language most Americans use. Weā€™ll probably always call them French Ovens around our office!ā€

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like