The New Yorker on why it's hard to get a reservation

“In today’s newsletter, Adam Iscoe goes inside the wild world of restaurant reservations—and offers some simple (and other far less simple) tips for getting the hottest tables in town”

5 Likes

Interesting, thanks. I’m both fascinated and kinda repelled.

6 Likes

Again, Yogi Berra’s sage observation nails it: “Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.”

7 Likes

Also fascinated & repelled. Yeah it’s supply & demand in action… and FOMO too. Pity.

1 Like

Let me get this straight–People are paying $300 for the reservation from a reseller, and it doesn’t include the food?
That seems so odd to me.

2 Likes

“Odd” is putting it nicely.

3 Likes

Hope it’s in the print edition as well. Saving a few for traveling.

3 Likes

Some people have too much money and see eating at trendy restaurants more as a “check list exercise” instead of enjoying great food

6 Likes

You know that trope about some people having more money than sense? That.

4 Likes

You are correct.
I could never do that… the expectation of perfection would be so great, a letdown is all but guaranteed.

1 Like

Or you convince yourself that the meal was amazing, even if it wasn’t.

1 Like

Agreed. There are so many restaurants in NYC I couldn’t fathom paying a premium to eat at a specific one.

1 Like

There’s nothing surprising in the story. Paying for a reservation is the modern day equivalent of slipping a c note to the maitre d’. What this tells me is that more restaurants will go the route of requiring payment for the meal upfront like Alinea and Saga or at least the non-refundable deposits that have become so much more prevalent. Restaurants are missing out on the money by allowing intermediaries to take advantage the way the story describes. But you can’t eliminate the scalpers.

2 Likes

Except this allows re-selling of reservations. And having a bot snap them up.That’s relatively new.

3 Likes

Yes, I was thinking this as well, also because this seems more prevalent in some European places (eg Amsterdam). Then the reseller needs to take the risk into account that he cannot resell his reservation before it expires. The restaurant can even move the expiration date of the refund to say a week before the meal, making it even harder for the reseller.

1 Like

Aye-- we’ve had ticket scalping & paying someone to wait and/or hold spot in line since I dunno, the fall of Rome maybe. IMO most of the people are “FOMOS” so they can win bragging rights. Which I commented to a friend is “insanely stupid”. For the rest OK good for them if they can afford it & it’s that important.

2 Likes

Right, but this isn’t exactly ticket scalping. A ticket has a cash value - someone paid money for it. A reservation does not. An unused reservation just gets “re-absorbed.”

1 Like