The new Semolina in Red Bank

We had an excellent dinner last night at Semolina. This place is completely NOT a kid place but they didn’t bat an eye when we appeared with our toddler. The entire staff was awesome and didn’t miss a beat. We had 5:30 reservations and by 6:05 all but one or two tables were full. Started with pork belly app. My daughter ate nearly the entire thing but from what I was able to try, tasty, might need something bright to stand up to the fatty pork. I had scallops (amazing). Husband had nero pasta with lobster which he subbed another pasta for. Tons of lobster, robust sauce. Kiddo had pasta with cheese and butter. We didn’t have dessert.

Not sure if I read this here, but they are expanding a bit into what was the bubble place next door. Not adding more tables, but adding a much needed wait area, pasta prep station and some other kitchen expansions.

6 Likes

Looking forward to seeing if the expanded kitchen equals an expanded menu!!!

3 Likes

Well everyone convinced me… I went tonight and I was totally astounded. Plus it was early on a Sunday and not yet busy so we were able to get appetizer portions (half orders) of Pasta to form a mid course and expand our selections. My review

The ambience started it all off. Simple, unpretentious and homey. Then add an enthusiastic staff and I was happy even before the first dish arrived. And our waiter knew every dish inside and out as if he had prepared each one himself. Listening to him spend time at a table who where not foodies patiently explain the entire menu in great and passionate detail was outstanding.

And then the food. Layers of flavor over subtle textures and more layers. The Fennel appetizer with orange was an amazing blend of acidic and sweet. And the Burrata with a mushroom puree was stunning in both simplicity yet intense earthy essence.

We then had a intermezzo course of Saffron Linquine with PEI Mussels and Lobster Pasta with an Arriabata sauce. Both were delicious and balanced all the components exactly the way that nature intended. The spicy red sauce, usually presented Fra Diavolo style, was much much more. Spicy but in a way to complement the lobster not overwhelm it. And the exquisitely roasted garlic in the Saffron Linguine brought a subtle touch of heat the the otherwise sweet and savory pasta. And both were cooked to the special toothiness delight.

The entree of Chestnut Agnolotti with Fried Sage and Prosciutto was nothing short of amazing. The balance again excellent where every flavor swirled without any one taking over. My Pork Chop over a jam braised red cabbage and creamy celeriac was an exposition in hearty food with a dynamic back flavor of complexity. Juicy, thick and so tender I almost did not need a knife. Again, a spectacular course.

It was almost a shame to have to move on to dessert… But wow… It was difficult to decide if we liked the Caramel Budino with sea salt and cocao soil or the Egg Nog Panna Cotta with Fig jam better. Both disappeared in a blaze of competitive spoon action.

Bottom line. 5 stars. With the constant menu turnover, the farm to table freshness, this is a keeper…

11 Likes

For those of you on Facebook, anyone happen to catch a post on the Curb Side Pick up Monmouth County re Semolina yesterday? As I have no first hand knowledge of the issue that led to the post on FB, I’d rather not comment on it other than to say that the poster was not happy with how a reservation was handled by the front of the house. In light of Semolina’s management’s posting in this thread, I went back to the FB post today to see if Semolina had chimed in. Best that I can tell, the post was taken down (there were a lot of comments to the post). Anyone on HO happen to see it and know the outcome or reason why the post came down? A curious bystander.

2 Likes

I have no information on the Semolina post which you are referring but I know someone who placed a complaint on that page and it was removed. They received a message from the moderator/creator of the page that said more or less “no complaints allowed on the page type response.

1 Like

People still use facebook? Thought we’d solved that.

4 Likes

Well, the group mentioned and the All About Matawan group solved it by going private. :slight_smile:

I saw the post as well. When I went back to look at the comments, the post was gone. :thinking: It was odd to me that if you have two different reservations (3 and 2) if i recall correctly, why the restaurant would not have seated you–especially when the OP said that they didnt care if they weren’t seat at tables next to each other. Why didn’t they just check in separately for each reservation? Seems there is more to the story here…and yes, would love to hear from management on their take …

Also seemed to me that there is probably more to the story. I dine at Semolina every few months, so my interest was piqued (as it was previously when HO member @paryzer had a poor experience (too put it mildly)).

2 Likes

Management responded before the post was deleted.

Told a completely different story. No idea what the real story is, probably somewhere in between. Management claimed that when they arrived they kept asking about pushing two tables together, adding an extra chair to a table etc. despite being told when making the reservation the only way they could accommodate 5 was at two separate tables.

3 Likes

Went last night for some outdoor dining while the weather still allows. They might get a little more time out of the outdoor heaters streetside (looked like maybe 6 four-tops). We sat right next to the building, so no heaters, but not needed last night anyway.

First time to Semolina, and I have to say I was impressed. Menu is interesting and everything was absolutely fresh and delicious. On the docket last night:

JERSEY KALE & FIG SALAD 14
delicata squash, pine nuts, pecorino, balsamic

RICOTTA AGNOLOTTI 23
Pumpkin, Sage, Brown Butter, Spiced Pumpkin Seeds

LINGUINE 24
Florida rock shrimp, baby kale, lemon, garlic

COCOA FETTUCCINE 25
pork ragu, local figs, parmesan, rosemary

FRESH ZEPPOLIS 9
local apple butter, cinnamon sugar

“SMORES” 10
dark chocolate budino, meringue, sea salt caramel, cocoa, graham

Yes, we overdid it for 2 people, but it was worth it. If i had to choose the standout, it would be the Agnolotti, but everything was truly excellent. Sorry no pics, next time. And there will be a next time and many more. Server Jill was great.

6 Likes

That cocoa fettuccine really has me intrigued. I make a chocolate pasta but serve it for dessert with a pecan caramel sauce. The savory version sounds like it has a nod to a Mole. I may have to experiment.

2 Likes

It was very subtle, and made the fettuccine light brown. The pork ragu was great, and the only bit of sweetness came from the figs.

2 Likes

Thanks for the added description. Mine is pretty chocolate forward. It sounds like the cocoa was more of a hook to get you to order then being a prominent flavor profile.

1 Like

We had an amazing outdoor dinner on Friday night. Gorgeous weather and we were celebrating closing on the new house! Started with a tomato tartare and I had pasta with shrimp. Perfect and tender. We split zeppolis for dessert. Happy campers all around. Sorry only took one pic.

8 Likes

Friday was a perfect evening to eat outside. Congrats on the new house.

2 Likes

Thanks! We are thrilled!

Does the move change your “local” Nicholas Creamery? Not that we moved but we are a bit closer to TF now

I swear, I was going to ask a similar question!!! :rofl: :rofl:
And congrats on the new digs!

1 Like

Wife and I love that tomato tartare. Gonna grab a ressie now that I know it’s back on the menu. Congrats on the home!

2 Likes