The new Dennis Foy Cafe Loret in Red Bank

Im finally getting to HK this weekend…can’t wait!

4 Likes

Enjoy Hong Kong. I hear the Dim Sum is fantastic!

2 Likes

I just read some yelp reviews.

One person said they paid 56 dollars for a chicken dinner for two? That is steep for a single chicken.
I have no desire to go here but like reading this thread.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

What a coincidence! Me too.

1 Like

Yay!!! I hope you love it as much as I do. Are you sitting at the bar? My favorite seats (if there are only 2 of you) is overlooking the pass. You get a great view of the plates as they are finished and sent off.

For larger groups, I am biased towards the table with the lazy susan or the big farm table.

Enjoy!!!

2 Likes

Yes–6 of us at the front Chef’s Counter. :grin:

2 Likes

We sat at the Chef’s counter this past Friday night…they’re making a masa cacio e pepe…to die for!!! Enjoy!!

1 Like

Just curious if anyone has been lately? I couldn’t help but to ask since both here and Simolina opened relatively close to each other and both with very high expectations. While early on I went with here, only to be vastly dissatisfied as have been most others. Most recently I’ve been to Semolina and have been extremely satisfied so I was wondering if Cafe Loret has worked out their kinks yet? Anyone have and recent intel?

We went last night for Mother’s Day. I confess that I was not happy with the parent’s selection of restaurants but it was not up to me to decide.

There were 7 of us at a big round table at 6 pm. We arrived a few minutes early and, although I was hungry, we all chatted and were given a few extra minutes to order. So it was about 6:20 when the apps arrived. We all shared and I liked almost all the apps I tried so, as they cleared the plates I thought that maybe I was wrong in my negative impression from last visit.

It was fully an hour before our mains arrived and any good will was swept out the window by then. I shared two mains, the lamb chops ( a $12 supplement ) and something described as Cajun Chicken without the chilies. It arrived looking good with a blackened outside on a juicy chicken breast. It was perhaps the blandest thing I have ever eaten that was described as Cajun. I ended up putting ketchup on it, it was so meh. The lamb chops were better but they had better be for a 1/3 the price of the whole 3 course supplement.

By the time I finished I was tired. About another 20 minutes passed and they still hadn’t even cleared the dishes much less taken our dessert orders. I politely told everyone that I needed to be up for work in the morning and left. I am done with this place.

3 Likes

Dammmmmmmmmmmmm: “I am done with this place”…ouch.

So the lamb chops were a $ 12. supplement but how much was the re-fix menu to start with? A $ 12 supplement to a $ 20. base price isn’t too bad for lam chops, but I’m going to assume the base was a tad bit above $ 20. lol

After @sockster experience I would just get up and leave too, if you complain you get yelled at! Dam shame…didn’t they expand into the space next to them as well? Was the place packed? Mother’s Day is one of the busiest Day’s of the year, if your not railed on Mother’s Day there are issues.

1 Like

Far from railed. Almost full at 6 and half empty by the time I left. Since it was the last night of Restaurant Week, the prix fixe was only $38 pp. That was the only good news of the night.

So let me get this straight, $ 50. for a prefix order of lamb chops, included a salad but you skipped desert? I mean if you break it down at $ 35 for the chops and $ 7.50 for salad and desert that’s not a complete rip off. So that’s not as bad I guess. Though the half empty by 7:30-8pm tells the story if you ask me.

2 Likes

every time I drive by I NEVER see many people in that spot. It can’t last much longer. I really don’t get it, I had high hopes for this place raising the bar for the area, but it just looks like another failure. That spot may be cursed. I know it’s possible b/c the one place had a good run there. Mayne it’s just such a big space it needs a certain mass appeal (and done well). I just can’t believe how badly this place founders considering the expectations. I’m sure after this nobody will take a chance there and we’ll end up with a McCloones level spot that just churns out slop but iwht booze $$$ to pack the place.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I"m saying this and Semolina were the two new comers that were expected to bring back some true good food back to Red Bank. I bet on the wrong horse early on this one as Loret has failed to deliver to anyone it seems, and Semolina is just about perfect in my 2 experiences.

I don’t think you will get a McCloones type place there, first their is no liquor license and I don’t see a bar/lounge type place moving that far up/down town. Who knows I could be wrong but for now I’m holding by breath for the new Gargilious in TF for the next destination spot. (I also really want to try Trama’s in LB)

3 Likes

And…SCENE.

2 Likes