The new Dennis Foy Cafe Loret in Red Bank

• 2 iced tea’s & tip, sorry. $124 + $24.80 (20%) =
    $ 148.80 rounded to $ 150. 00 ($75 pp)

What the hell were the prices? I hope the entrees were sizable portions. For two people to drop $150 with no booze is mind-boggling to me. But maybe its just me.

2 Likes

This is the spot I mentioned in a post today or yesterday that I didn’t want to try. I knew Dave reviewed it and I could not quite remember the name.

Now it is official. I will wait until there are some good reviews .

Dammit you couldn’t have posted this 5 hours ago??? You owe me a buck fiddy man! (Joke I wanted to try it)

I would have met you. I was in RB before and boogied down south. I just baited the trap and I’m trying for the last time to get some crab tomorrow. I predict I won’t get anything but a bad day crabbing is better than a good day at work!

2 Likes

Not sizable but adequate, better than Nicholas but I did snack when I got home.

2 Likes

We went here for the first time Friday night. I really wanted to love it. The space is lovely and the walls are filled with art painted by the chef. Also, each menu has a painting on the back which is beautiful. The service is attentive without being overbearing. I just felt like all the food was missing pop (acid?) and nearly all of it came out in the warm zone. Only one plate was hot.

We started with the famous crab appetizer which was delicious, a crepe special filled with a very rich mushroom sauce and a ‘salad’ special that was green beans and duck. This last one was odd. It was warm-ish.

Entrees, our friends had a puff pastry lobster thing which he ate all of but didn’t comment either way. His spouse ordered the veal bolognese (the only hot dish) that she said was good but ‘safe’. My husband and I did a surf/turf split with scallops topped with caviar (too salty for me and I would have loved a squeeze of lemon and a something to break it up, maybe a small veg side?) and elk. This was interesting. Well prepared. I’ve never had it before and I would say it was similar to lamb for me. I thought the prices were borderline too high. The scallops were 30 something for 4 scallops. None of the desserts sounded good to the table so we skipped that. Total was $200 for the 4 of us.

All in all, I doubt we will be coming back and I’m still a little sad that we came here instead of Semolina…

1 Like

Funny, we went back recently after our first really good experience there. It was a busy Saturday night.

Service was slow and we almost left after not he acknowledged at our table for over 25 minutes.

Each and every course we had, from the crab to the tuna special was served lukewarm and was almost tasteless. When our server asked how everything was, (and if you don’t want to know don’t ask), I told her. Dennis Foy came out and said something like, nobody in all the years I’ve been cooking has complained about my food. Somehow I doubt that.
He basically comped our dinner and walked away.

Truthfully, with restaurants like Semolina and other new ones that are opening, there way better places to go.

Well sorry for the experience but it sounds very similar to my one (and who knows if I’ll be back) visit. It’s a shame because it’s so close to being great, but with high expectations it falls short. Also as you mentioned the price point makes you want to leave satisfied, not lacking.

I received a gift card to Semolina for the Holiday’s, I’m looking forward to going I just hope I’m not too cramped.

1 Like

Yes, we all agreed it was just lacking. Good intentions but just fell short for us.

I highly recommend Semolina, but with a grain of salt. Although they have put up the noise panels, it still gets loud so I would recommend an earlier reservation before everyone else is boozed up and screaming over each other. Also, when you make a reservation; request a 4 top. The 2’s are SO small. They have always accommodated us.

Unrelated sidebar: do you know if the space that used to be catch will be another restaurant (ever?). I heard a while ago it was going to be a upscale Mexican thing. I’m thinking like Barrio Costero in AP.

But that’s my specialty!!!

I had heard the same rumor about the old Catch location but I have no other information. I try not to bother with the Red Bank scene, I don’t know why but I got “over” it a long, long time ago.

4 Likes

A very recent visit to Semolina was just okay, after a few excellent visits over the summer and early fall. Check the online menu before you go (it’s usually current) and make sure it appeals to you. Not as limiting as Grand Tavern’s small menu, but also not a ton of choices. And, as Gracie notes, noise remains an issue.

2 Likes

based on what owners did to Catch which was a reasonably good spot and then moved to the god-awful speakeasy joint that floundered I won’t hold me breath. The new joint seems to get killed on social media, and not nitpick stuff; ie food not cooked, horrific service matched by sky high prices… Looked at menu of the new spot and it was SKY HIGH with very little of interest to me and almost no real seafood (for a joint named catch)
I just don’t get it. Seems like they sunk WAY too much $$ in the bar spot and can’t just let it go as sunk cost so they are now ruining two spots to try to save it…can’t imagine they have much capability to get new joint off the ground not run it well.

1 Like

Agreed on everything. Catch was alright before the move. I wasn’t sure if it was the same group that is still holding the original location.

1 Like

@gracieggg, so if Foy is in Red Bank who’s cookin’ at d’Floret in Lambertville? Any thoughts?

1 Like

When the executive chef (that would be Foy) is not helming the kitchen, his chef de cuisine is in charge.

Yes, I know this, but I was hoping for a name. The Lambertville restaurant seems to receive very positive reviews; the Red Bank one, not so much. I keep thinking about Foy’s restaurant in Lawrenceville, where he was executive chef. It received very mixed reviews and the restaurant finally closed.

1 Like

Just gonna drop this here…

I guessed the restaurant, and based on their online menu, I believe I’m correct.

ETA that one of THE most disappointing and expensive meals of my life was at Joel Rubochon in Las Vegas. And one of the loveliest surprises? Per Se.

2 Likes

I wonder why she didn’t have the cojones to say the name of the restaurant? I also hate when places give you a few bites of mashed potato or fingerling potatoes when they aren’t very expensive. (Same with pasta)

4 Likes

Cuteness? Coyness?

1 Like