The Mushroom Shop, Somerville MA

8 Likes

This looks incredible

1 Like

I’ve ordered from the Mushroom Shop earlier this spring when they were offering their weekly deliveries. Mushrooms were excellent - both in taste and price. The selection of citrus was also a fun treat - several varietals that I hadn’t tried before.

Looking forward to trying them out in person!

2 Likes

It looks fantastic. Thanks for the information.

1 Like

So I hopped over today and got a 1.5lb mixed “specialty” box for $30 (a bag of a “cultivated” mix would have cost $25):

My box was largely a conventional mix of shiitakes, oyster, maitake, etc. They have morels for $25 for a half pound, but they were not included in my mix.

They have a few carefully selected other items – several types of bean and miso pastes, for example, and seasonal vegetables (I got some fiddleheads) – and are worth a visit.

Since they’re around the corner(ish) from M.F. Dulock, I stopped there too for beef cheeks, oxtail and chuck that are slow cooking in red wine as I write. I’ll saute my mushrooms nearer dinner time and add them to the stew for a mock version of Julia Child’s boeuf bourguignon (I’ve made the much more laborious original in the past).

7 Likes

Dinner sounds delicious!

2 Likes

Just to play devils advocate (and just to be clear if we would still live in Boston we would also go to this new mushroom shop) but $25 for 1.5 lb sounds quite expensive especially if it also seems to include shiitake, oyster which are normally quite broadly available - remembering the broad mushroom selection at places like Russo’s (and even WF) where the prices seem to be quite reasonable. I understand that places need to generate revenue to survive but (and that’s any issue everywhere) it feels that many shops are pushing up the prices (too) high.

1 Like

I agree on the prices. The morels I looked at from Regalis (the fancy foods store from NY) were $35/lb. On the other hand, they are a large outfit and have a huge customer base, and presumably benefit from the economy of scale. This mushroom shop has other things going for it (as I mentioned) and I do recommend it as a place to get several hard-to-find items (especially in smaller-sized containers).

1 Like

Yes it sounds good, although I say so myself. But we have to see how it turns out. I’ve had mixed results in the past with mixed meats and their different cooking times, unless I have the time to carefully nurture them. Today I didn’t. A quick browning of the meats, then finely chopped celery and carrots, sliced onions, some smashed garlic cloves, two bay leaves, 3 actual cloves, a handful of black peppercorns, and half a bottle of red wine. Prep was 45 minutes, then 4 hours unattended on my slow-cooker setting in my Breville. I just opened the pot to add potatoes and carrots – Julia would blanch – and while the oxtails are almost done, the cheeks and chuck seem to have dissolved. I’m hoping they’re just lying low.

3 Likes

Even if they have in fact dissolved it will just make the gravy/sauce that much more delicious. Now I’m really hungry!!

3 Likes

Gorgeous mushrooms and luscious dinner. Sounds like a great day in the Fooddabbler household.

3 Likes