The Maiden (South Boston)

SO and I finally made it to The Maiden on West Broadway in South Boston (near the intersection with A Street). This is where Esti Parsons is focusing her efforts after the demise of the sorely missed Sam’s. A nice mixed cheese and charcuterie “board” to start. A robiola was luscious, served at the perfect temperature; an aged Vermont goat cheese was passable but less distinctive. We selected an excellent boar “salami” from Utah and Finocchiona from NEC (the guys in Waltham). We rounded out the board with a house-smoked bluefish pate, better than the (quite good) one at Legal. Accompaniments were a bit all over the map - cornichon, bread-and-butter pickles, a chutney, house-made mustard (suprisingly good with the bluefish pate) and granola clusters. We ordered the roasted oysters, which have received high marks from others. While they were perfectly and delicately roasted, they were drowning in butter. Next time we’ll sample from the selection of raw oysters.

A special salad of watermelon slices, melon curls, heirloom tomato, and mint leaves was the higlight of the evening. We also had mussels and fries (listed separately, but the classic moules frite combination). The fries were crisp and a very generous portion, enough for sharing among 3 or 4. Mussels were plump, delicate, and in a delicious broth that called for dipping. The excellent bread (served with EVOO, salt, and pepper) might have been Iggy’s Francesa, but I didn’t confirm.

A nice selection of wines, by the glass and bottle, as well as craft beers. We enjoyed a crisp Grüner Veltliner.

The Maiden is more than a typical neighborhood joint. However parking might be an issue. We parked a quarter-mile up A Street (close to my SO’s hairdresser). Service, as you might imagine with Esti running the FOH, was professional. A nice team ethic going, with seamless attention from the entire wait staff at various points, ensuring we had water, wine poured, and bread. We’ll be back.

1 Like

Very nice report. Got my mouth watering! Will have to get there soon. Thanks.
Hope to Enjoy,
CocoDan

Your SO and I probably get out hair cut at the same place (have you tried the restaurant next door to the salon?)

I’ve been to the Maiden a few times and it’s been outstanding. The burger is great. So is brunch.

I’ve never had problems parking but that neighborhood is so in flux that my usual spots are likely in jeopardy

Jamie is the one who suggested leaving the car near his salon and walking to the Maiden. Haven’t tried the place next door yet - seems like people find the terrace pleasant. Give us a report if you try it…