The Local Butcher Shop [Berkeley, CA]

DH found this jewel while tracking down paté. He brought home some superb stuff and told me he thought I’d really like this store WOOHOO! This tiny shop has beautifully butchered meats and poultry. Gorgeous beef, lamb and pork. I came home with lamb neck steaks, several kinds of housemade sausage, head cheese, paté, unbelievably delicious salamis and sopressata. I could have spent an hour studying the fresh meats and specially selected seasonings, beans, grains. For me, a worthwhile trip across the Bay. The Local Butcher Shop

7 Likes

Sando of the Day
This Week’s Sandos
Monday, February 22nd
Stemple Creek Ranch beef roast, carrot top gremolata, lemon roasted beets & carrots, peppercress, tahini aioli, sweet deli roll

Tuesday, February 23rd
Llano Seco Rancho pork braise, roasted onions, charred broccoli rabe, toasted almonds, lemon aioli, pickled mustard seed vinaigrette, sweet deli roll

Wednesday, February 24th
Stemple creek Ranch beef kofta, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, feta, tzatziki vinaigrette, herbed focaccia,

Thursday, February 25th
Llano Seco Rancho pork braise, tomato stewed kale, mustard greens, smoked paprika pepitas, pickled watermelon rind relish, sweet deli roll

Friday, February 26th
Good Shepherd Ranch turkey roast, lacinato kale, grapes, celery, Aleppo toasted walnuts, chive & tarragon aioli, sweet deli roll

Saturday, February 27th
Llano Seco Rancho pork roast banh mi, pickled daikon & carrot, serrano, cucumber, cilantro, gochujang aioli, torpedo roll

Sunday, February 28th
Stemple Creek Ranch beef braise, roasted shiitake & button mushroom, shaved parmesan, arugula, balsamic vinaigrette, sweet deli roll

Please note, this is only a plan…things may change. Life can be a wild ride; embrace change and uncertainty. If you want to confirm the sandwich of the day, please call the shop 510-845-MEAT (6328)

These look tasty :yum:

3 Likes

Thanks. This place reeks soul. You just have the feeling that everyone connected cares desperately about their mission. Every one of those sandwich ideas sings.

1 Like

My client, well.com (I do support and system administration) knows me well, and gave me a $50 gift certificate at Local Butcher for a year-end bonus. I used it on a whole bavette steak (it came to around $65, around 3lbs). The butcher cut it out of a side of beef for me as I watched. I cut it into individual servings and vacuum-packed and froze them, for sous vide. Bavette is somewhat tougher than, say, ribeye or filet, so I cook it at 130F for 2.5 hours; ribeyes get 125F for the same time.

3 Likes

i loved their pate (or rillettes maybe?) and we had a fabulous beef sandwich a month or so ago. Wasn’t as thrilled with the rib eye as the ones I’ve gotten from Olivier’s Butchery in the City (just preferred the texture of OB’s), but I will definitely go back to try more of their offerings.

2 Likes

I agree their PATE is pretty good, but I miss the phenomenal CORNED BEEF they used to have.

They only had it occasionally; it was un incredible deal at ~$14.

Regrettably, but understandably, the price rose >20% – but it was still worth it.

Then it became “consistently average” … after 4 or 5 times of the lower standard, I gave up. I dont know enough about meat/corning to speculate about what happened. It was so different – even visually – it was essentially a different product.

The sandos are decent, but at that location/comparable price, I usually have preferred the lunch options from GREGOIRE. Although honestly I’m usually just getting a slice at CHEESEBOARD [I have been to CHEESEBOARD more than 500 times].

2 Likes

Cooked the lamb neck last night. Good lamb, not mutton, flavor; super tender after an hour braising. Loved this cut which is new to us.

5 Likes

Smoked bratwurst, choucroute (saurkraut, onion, garlic, white wine, duck fat, juniper berries and peppercorns), butter braised potatoes.
I cooked two of these humungous sausages, cut them in 1/3-2/3 portions. DH ate his and cut into the second. So, 1 1/2 served the two of us well. Flavor was superb. One of the best bratwursts we’ve have in modern times.

7 Likes