The Lasting Cultural Impact of the American Jewish Deli

4 Likes

Between this and @Chowseeker1999 on Langer’s, I’m dying for a pastrami sandwich - thanks! :grinning:

4 Likes

You have a few of these in Oregon? NONE where I live now, but I always go back to Jake’s on North, in one shtty neighborhood in Milwaukee. My wife loves corned. I’m a pastrami man. When they put a Mr. Pastrami three blocks from my house in M’waukee, they brought the canary to the cat.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Sorry to hear you live in “A Pastrami Desert”.

But it’s not hard to make yourself, and ends up cheaper per pound even after fat trim.

I use a 2.5 gal bag to brine the meat so I don’t have to worry about getting sealed weights as he shows in the video. I put the bag on a cooling rack so I get some circulation beneath, but I still flip the bag a couple of times a day.

1 Like

GoldBelly does Langer’s. If you’re a first time user you can get $25 off your first order (which doesn’t make it much more than the restaurant pricing).

2 Likes

Pastrami I’ve made. Honestly, I’m happy going back home for the pleasure a few times per year. My issue is, I make pastrami and I’m the only one who eats it. I make corned beef and my wife is the only one who eats it. I ever land at JFK I’m going Langers.

2 Likes

That’d be a neat trick!
Langer’s is in LA
Katz’s is in NYC.
:slight_smile: :cowboy_hat_face:

This fine lady from Chicago fills us up.
Not Jewish, but tremendous smoked meats.

Oh, I thought they were talking NYC only. My bad. Next time I’m in SOCAL, which I actually get to every now and again, I’d love to try it. I’m pretty satisfied with what I get in Milwaukee, though.

1 Like

The demise of the Jewish deli is a whole separate topic, in NYC and elsewhere.

Then I’ll stick with Jake’s in MKE.

1 Like

No, I was going off the Katz thread.

1 Like

I agree :+1:

Damn, sorry Mate. Around here, all 6 eat corned beef (what I refer to as “pre-pastrami”, although 2 of them complain about the salt levels - then I made one lower salt and 2 complained it wasn’t tasty enough!!!).

Four of 6 really like Pastrami here. So I’m good either way.

Last month I corned a bunch of top round in three packages and kept one for corned, then took the other two to pastrami. All of them were OK but not great. The biggest lesson I learned was that I need another cooking method for non-brisket corned beef and pastrami.

Round (being so lean) can’t take the same cooking temps/times as corned brisket. It was tasty, but overall too dry.

Big fail, IMHO.

I’ve got a whole round in the downstairs fridge approaching its cryovac sell by date. I’m mostly going to turn it into Biltong (my favorite jerky) but might consider corning 4 or so pounds, too.

1 Like

I love this book! I was able to meet the author several years ago when the book came out. He’s a true deli lover.

2 Likes

I really miss Carnegie Deli, and I’m lucky that here in NYC we have a few old timers left.
I went to Liebman’s in the Bronx recently. Very good pastrami and latkes.

3 Likes

Who doesn’t miss Carnegie, especially because it was their pastrami. The deli that makes its own meats is likely extinct ? Even the fabled Langer’s pastrami is not (as far as we’ve heard) an on-premises product. Nearby but no longer, Greenblatt’s made the offered brisket, if the counterman’s bragging was to be believed.

2 Likes

I believe that Mile End makes it’s own Smoked Meat (traditional Montreal style). At least they did for a while but I can’t find anything more current than 2015.

And Katz’s most certainly does.

I can live with the product not being made on-premises, especially in a high rent city like NYC or LA, as long as it tastes good!

1 Like

We’ll guess that pastrami almost always has to made be off-premises, given the smoke requirement . . .