the humble salt shaker

We need a salt pig looks like a pig

1 Like

No shaker here either, sorry.

If you’re open to change there’s plenty of ideas given already.

Me, depending on the application:
flakes,
grinder,
box of course kosher

I would go with a salt grinder. Then it won’t really matter if it is humid, the mechanics of the grinder will deal with it.

1 Like

no professional cooks use a salt shaker. none. they use a small ceramic ramekin or metal container and their fingers.

1 Like

IMO, the problems with shakers and grinders for cooking and plating outweigh the benefits. They (and/or your hands) need to be cleaned. Grabbing salt from an open container saves time and is probably safer.

I’ve tried pigs, and they’re not perfect, either. Your hand must fit inside with enough extra room to grab. Excess salt can’t easily be tossed back in. And most pigs stay open to airborne grease and spatter. Ramekins are easier to grab from, but worse for unwanted stuff getting in.

What I’ve settled on is a lidded mustard pot. The SS lid is hinged, and a glass ramekin fits inside a SS base. You can flick it open as you reach for salt and drop the lid right after the grab. Another boon is you can have different salts in them as needed.

I only use shakers at table.

Hi, shrinkrap:

You must have better luck than I do with the aluminum restaurant shakers. Every single one I’ve used for salts and cures has corroded terribly.

Aloha,
Kaleo

I have a Le Creuset salt cellar and I absolutely love it.

https://www.lecreuset.com/salt-crock/PG1020.html

1 Like

I guess so! I’ve had mine as long as I can remember.

1 Like

Wow, you store salt in them? If so, you’re charmed rather than lucky.

Now you’ve got me nervous. Here’s what it looks like right now.

Uploading: PXL_20220329_173446183.jpg…

I mostly use table salt for baking.
The salt pig for daily use.

I use a salt box (ceramic with a wooden, hinged lid) next to the stove. Guests get individual salt cellars filled with Malden, plus individual pepper grinders. My grandmother used individual salt cellars at the table, filled with table salt. You pinched.

Huh, maybe yours has a little more polish. I used mine mostly for curing salts (Prague Powder #2). In addition to just salt (sodium chloride), PP#2 has abut 9% of sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite–much like Morton Tender Quick. Maybe that’s more corrosive to aluminum.

The answer to the OP may lie in a different approach. The normal method in the UK is to have a small cellar on the table with a spoon for depositing a modest pile of salt on the side of ones plate. A little salt may then be added to a fork of food if needed. Much less impolite to the cook, and clumping ceases to be an issue.

Something like this:

Or these:

1 Like

Ahh! I keep my curing salt in bags and . Don’t use them much. And I think my dry climate plays a big role.

Also, it occurs to me I am currently using a salt cellar, and not a salt pig.

maybe it was just marketing that was trying to sell the salt pig to home cooks - e.g., “if you want to act like a pro chef…buy this now!”

I was sold. I like using it more than a salt shaker. It makes me feel like I’m aping the real pro’s (but not anymore apparently - lol)

I love salt pigs. I use pigs large enough for my hands, one by the stove and one on the table, both filled with Diamond Crystal. I keep some Maldon in a small dish from which I can grab a pinch. All the other salts (damp grey, smoked Maldon, and pink Hawaiian (for popcorn)) stay in their jars unless I use them on the table, in which case they go in a little open dish.

1 Like