The history of meat and potatoes in America

From the wonderful Restaurant-ing Through History blog:

2 Likes

Major assumptions in that last paragraph. :thinking:

2 Likes

Yes, and I’m not sure where they’re coming from actually. While I also enjoy this blog there are major differences between “what people eat/ate at home” and “what people eat/ate in restaurants.” It’s harder to gauge what people were eating at home because there are fewer written records. Basic problem with a lot of social history. Still as I said I enjoy the blog.

2 Likes

Agree especially since the resurgence of high end steak places and good burgers everywhere.

3 Likes

Really. Burgers and fries are as popular as ever - if not more so.

1 Like

I agree. I feel like burgers are more popular than ever. They are now not only diner fare but fast casual, fast food, high end, celebrity chef promoted, “sustainable & local”, short rib/brisket blends, custom blends, etc. They are all over as opposed to just diner fare. Feels like America is currently obsessed with burgers with new burger joints popping up all the time and established chains making major moves to expand.

3 Likes

There are high end restaurants where the burger is one of the biggest sellers - Balthazar and Minetta Tavern in NYC as examples.

2 Likes

I was born and raised in KC and I never knew we were shamed because we liked meat.
Damn! I gotta catch up on this stuff.
Also, pizza has replaced meat and potatoes.
Really?

2 Likes

It would be hard to disagree if they had argued that alternatives have proliferated. I’m not sure meat and potato places have diminished, it’s just that there are lots of what the article refers to as "international cuisine. As others have pointed out, fast casual burger joints have proliferated, but there are also lots of franchise steak houses and a growing number of meat-centric “Brazilian” restaurants.

2 Likes