The Greek Spot..coming to Red Bank NJ ( & now open)

In Red Bank unexpectedly today and we decided to hit the Greek Spot. Review below:

The Greek Spot had come highly recommended to me by fellow members of the Hungry Onion For over a year, I read rave reviews and saw scrumptious pictures from this business’s Ocean location. There, they have a small grocery area as well as steam tables where you can pick out what you want. Customers described heaping portions. This new place in Red Bank is going for a more restaurant feel. When you walk in, there is a counter and a menu board. Another counter wraps around the front window area. You can eat there or choose to go upstairs and find a seat in one of three large dining rooms, including another one separated and in the downstairs portion of the back of the building. This restaurant is massive. Having wanted to visit since they opened, it figures that this first stop would be entirely by accident. Justin and I were checking the Red Bank Antiques Center for something, and when we parked, I realized that the Greek Spot was literally right there. We were hungry and had to give it a try.

As people who eat hummus almost every day, we wanted to avoid that as an appetizer. Being only two people also forbade us from getting the sampler, which includes hummus, tzatziki, roasted eggplant dip, and a spicy feta cheese dip. That last one is known as Tirokefteri, and being quite new to us, we chose that to start our lunch with. I’ve eaten a lot of Greek food, but I have never seen such an option anywhere. This would be the winner of the entire meal. It arrived in a ball with a large side of warm, crisp pita bread. The dip was everything I had wanted it to be: creamy, the right amount of heat, and enough of that salty/briney flavor you would expect from feta cheese. It was blended just enough that there were still chunks of the cheese present throughout. It was good with the pita. It was good with the meatballs we ordered as another appetizer. Hell, it would probably go good on anything . It was otherworldly.

Speaking of those meatballs, Keftedakia, I assume they were a combination of beef and lamb. There was a lot of flavor in these little bites. Among the array of spices used was a hint of mint. This brought an unusual freshness to what you would assume would be a heavy meatball. They were crispy on the outside, yet tender and juicy inside. The dish came with a side of thick yogurt for dipping, but I chose to keep dragging these things through that spicy feta dip.

For meals, we did not even have to look at the menu to decide. I went with the beef and lamb gyro, while Justin had a falafel wrap. Both came with tzatziki, though we could have chosen mustard or, you guessed it, more spicy feta (if only we had known how awesome that would be). Both were priced under $7, making this an extraordinary value. The wraps were enormous—so much so that I ended up eating it with a knife and fork by the time I got to the end. The meat was fall-apart tender and flavorful. The pita was warm and grilled. The vegetables were fresh. I did enjoy the tzatziki but they put so much that it oozed out with every bite. That’s not really much of a complaint, as I just tried to scrape some out and move it to the side. Super Fans of tzatziki will die for this gyro. Justin loved his falafel—it was gone before I even had a chance to ask him about it.

At this point, we were stuffed. We had not even finished the dip or the meatballs, and both of us had some wrap left. Did we need dessert? Hell no, but I had seen the baklava when we walked in and decided we should at least share a piece…along with some Greek coffee. This moved us from stuffed into a category where you could have rolled us out of the restaurant. The baklava was another large portion. It had the right amount of honey—not swimming in it, but just enough to add sweetness. The layers of Phyllo dough were delicate, and the base of walnuts crumbled with each bite. This is, perhaps, the best baklava I’ve ever had. The ultra-strong coffee complimented it well. It did not take long to feel the caffeine surging through my body.

I’ve never been to The Greek Spot’s other location, but I can see the need for opening a second one. There are more Greek restaurants coming to this area now than ever before, but this place manages to stand out. This is traditional Greek food at excellent prices, massive portions, and a noticeable freshness which helps elevate it amongst the competition. I look forward to coming back for dinner and trying more (they have some delectable-sounding seafood dishes on the dinner menu). The dining rooms are open, beautiful, and manage to feel Greek without overdoing it. Having only been open a month or two, I wish them the best of luck and have to congratulate them on a job well done so far! 4 out of 5 stars (and that may climb with another visit).

Originally posted here on my blog.

8 Likes

SO happy you agree on this one! I think they’re doing a terrific job at both locations and really hope they’ll succeed in Red Bank.

1 Like

The only thing that worries me is the size of their location. Plenty of counter seating, then two or three dining rooms upstairs including a gigantic one in the back if you go down some stairs. That’s some serious real estate. I hope they can fill it.

Ditto! The good news is that a) they share that parking lot w the Antiques Center, b) they’re ONE BLOCK from Two River Theater, and they’re <10-minute walk to the Basie. I’M thrilled there’s a place to grab a bite before a show in RB that’s not a big ‘production’ in terms of time or cost…hopefully they know how to market/partner with the arts organizations! (CALL ME IF YOU NEED HELP WITH THAT…)

1 Like

Hate to say it (no I don’t) but; We told you so!!!

3 Likes

I agree- this is my worry. Red Bank Pizza had a good run there I think, but since then it’s been a grave yard of sorts for a number of failed bids. Hope this breaks the streak for sure!!

1 Like

I think the reason why Red Bank Pizza / Chiaffalo’s did so well was quality and price point. That’s not the glitzy side of town so I think it needs to be affordable and good, which this is so I predict they will do well.

2 Likes

I’m glad you liked it Greg. I’ve been a few times and I was impressed with the value. I heard good things from other members regarding the ocean location and this place didn’t let me down.

It is indeed a large place. The emperor (that is my cousin John that Greg knows) and I arrived at 630 and we were literally the only table. It was kind of eerie. Slowly a few tables filled up, but I hope they get more traffic. I’m sure rent isn’t cheap there.

The service on my last trip was top notch…great server. Also, the manager Maria was a very nice hostess. I really am rooting for this place. With the quality of food and fair pricing, I think they should do ok. I’m trying to help get the word out to some friends and family.

3 Likes

Dinner here again Friday night. I called them when we were in the car on the off chance we needed a reservation. Told them we were about 10 minutes away and if that was an issue for 2 + high chair. The woman asked me 4x for my name and 2x for my number. I’m like listen. We will be there before you write this down! No issue getting a table so not sure what all that was about.

All of our food was slightly overdone but still quite tasty. The service was excellent and our waiter brought us a few cookies for free (I can’t remember why). All in all, I am really liking this spot.

2 Likes

We took Justin’s family here for lunch today. Another home run.

Had the Haloumi cheese pita wrap. Even better than the gyro I had last time! The cheese was creamy, salty, spongy, and they grilled it. So much flavor from that. Had the tzatziki on the side because they put way too much. Pics coming later.

3 Likes

Nice…what else was in the wrap?

How was the crowd?

Just cheese and LTO.

It was 1PM, prime lunch time. Only 3 tables.

They posted on their Facebook the other day that their restaurant seats 120 people.

Pics:

6 Likes

Yeah that is what is scaring me. John and I show up at 630 and we were the only table there. A few more came in but they need more business than that. Nice pics!

I never went to their original location, and I appreciate they wanted a real “restaurant” compared to the more casual grocery setting they had, but man, they may be in over their heads.

Excellent food and friendly service yes, but that’s a tremendous building. It is literally room after room after room. Overhead and rent must be enormous. I hate to say it, but its looking kind of grim. I hope I am wrong because I wouldn’t mind eating there weekly.

I agree. I am 100% rooting for this place. I just hope the good word gets out and they start booming.

REALLY hope they figure out how to partner with Two River Theater AND with the Basie; both are walking distance–people just need to get in there and try it!

Good idea. They would be the perfect place to grab dinner before a show. Cheap, quick, out the door, and in your seats.

1 Like

Here’s a Saturday night update…my daughter is with her family and some friends at The Greek Spot /Red Bank. Here’s what she texted me “We had appetizers. They were good. Our food is slow to come though. It’s jam packed on here”.
This was at about 8 PM. And it turned out that another couple she knew were at the next table. So the word is definitely getting out! Of course, I told my daughter she absolutely needed to go there.

3 Likes

Once the nice weather consistently kicks in business should pick up and then we will be bummed that there’s a wait. The summer crowd hasn’t arrived yet; college hasn’t ended yet…

And, for reasons that continue to baffle the challenge to get diners off Broad Street for a meal remains. Only the truly enlightened know better😁.

2 Likes