The Great Arlington, VA Taco Crawl

Within its tiny borders, I hate to admit my hometown of Arlington, VA has become a disappointing food destination. Sure, there’s some great stuff to be had by just stepping right across the border, but Arlington itself has become a bit boring.

You can however, put together a devastating taco crawl featuring the DC area’s three great tacos:

Taco de suadero at La Jarochita Dos on N. Glebe Road
Taco al pastor at Tacos y Tortas La Chiquita on Columbia Pike
And of course…
Taco de cabrito at Taqueria El Charrito Caminante.

Once you have these, then you’ll realize just what the others are missing. Just remember to use lots of napkins. Or wear a shirt you don’t mind ruining.

However, if you can only go to one place, the the overall winner is La Chiquita. The pastor is a MUST, but you will do well with birria, carnitas, lengua, and maybe some others too. Hard to go completely wrong here.

2 Likes

The cactus huaraches at Tacos y Tortas La Chiquita are in my regular rotation.
Now I wish we could get a Thai place to my taste (my Thai chile tolerance is unfortunately not up to par, plus I’m a pescatarian so it’s not the best cuisine for me, nonetheless I love the flavors). I’d rather taste the herbs but everyone seems to serve the same things.
I do love Padaek in Falls Church, and they are opening a new place in Arlington soon.

Thanks for the rec of the cactus huaraches. Now I need to go back soon. I have not tried any of their tortas or other offerings, yet.

If you haven’t already, you need to try the yum pla dook foo at Thai Square. Same goes for the yum pla krob. Both of these dishes are not served everywhere, and even where they are served, the Thai Square preparation is unique and wonderful.

I’ll second all those recommendations, though I’d put El Charrito Caminante a touch ahead of Tacos y Tortas La Chiquita.

I might also add Pa’ Tacos el Papi, the food truck that sets up on the access road near the intersection of Columbia Pike and South Jefferson Street. I say I “might” add Pa’ Tacos el Papi, not because of any reservations about the tacos, which are excellent (al pastor, chorizo, and lengua are all recommended), but because I get different information from the internet about whether that location is in Falls Church or Arlington.

Best to go on a weekday (they’re closed on Monday and Tuesday) because it gets very crowded on weekends and people block the access road with their cars while waiting on their tacos.