The French Fry Toppings of the World

Potatoes where I live have wonderful taste, and there are many varieties, used for different things at different times of the year. Potato gnocchi tastes of potatoes in Italy.

When I cook and eat potatoes in Italy I only dress them with olive oil and salt. They are fragrant and delicious. Even in America, I enjoyed eating “new potatoes” from the northeast. Red bliss are very different to me than Yukons. Good mashed potatoes should taste like potatoes, not butter or cream.

1 Like

A NY pizza joint here in Berkeley(Arinel’s) had a big sign, “NO RANCH”, which made me smile. But then they started offering pineapple on pizza, and I teased the owner, what’s next, ranch?. “Never ranch!” he said.

1 Like

Ah, got it. The photos looked like well presented food. But I guess fried food in Italy is for poor people and tourists. Understood.

On the other hand, there are real butchers in GP. Just not many Italians.

Or “meat cutters” as they’re properly called :slight_smile: And yes! FYI, it was Abby’s but you probably guessed that.

I don’t know why Italians don’t eat much deep-fried food. Maybe they consider it a poor use of oil, which is treasured. Or maybe they realize it’s not truly healthy. Neapolitans and urban Sicilians seem to eat more of it, and maybe because there is more of a street food culture there than other places. Frying small fish is popular in most coastal areas. Fried pastries are popular as a holiday treat.

Oorlog can also include hot Indonesian sambal sauce.

2 Likes