The flip side of ditching three things

That would be “shelves” for us…our garage is full of kitchen overflow.

3 Likes
  1. My newly bought in 2009 Mauviel stainless steel copper 24 saute pan, 20 sauce pan, and 26 frying pan.

2. My Rosenthal Moon dinnerware collection (designed by Jasper Morrison). Still in daily use for over a decade - always reluctant to splurge on dinnerware (or flatware for that matter) but I just know that these are excellent investments. The Rosenthal is a case in point. This Moon collection is also difficult to find these days.

3. My Smeg freestanding gas stove with gas oven is also difficult to replace. People don’t really use gas ovens anymore plus the governments here in Europe are making it harder to use gas (though they are happy to qualify gas as a sustainable investment!).

2 Likes

Thank you for putting your feelings in context. Now I can understand. When somebody helps other(s) who are in a terrible situation, that has a way of bringing up all sorts of emotions. In all sorts of places. (Yup, speaking from life experience here.) I appreciate your openness.

2 Likes

Sorry it made you sad. There is so much misery and dislocation in our world. The greatest sadness is that it would be within our power to address it by simply being more compassionate and generous.

2 Likes

Personally I almost prefer threads that go off track. That is when we get most interactive and reveal the the things that are meaningful to us. When a cookware thread stays rigidly on track, there is only so much information one can impart about cookware. When a recipe thread goes askew, that is when you learn tricks, tweaks, and hacks, not to mention the wisdom of failure.

5 Likes

Good for you for volunteering. This site is dedicated to food and all topics related to food, so it’s going to be littered with topics on restaurants, preparation, growing and even implements used in cooking of food – tangentially it will touch upon our homes and kitchens and household items. When you compare that to refugees who have to give up everything, then anything here is going to come across as indulgent.

But there are millions who do not have secure access to food sources everyday, and isn’t just an issue for Ukranian refugees or any refugees. We have millions in poverty across the globe, so is there ever going to be a good time to discuss food or food related topics? Or topics on shelter, clean water, power/energy? To say we shouldn’t discuss food and its place in our own lives while others don’t have access to these things doesn’t make sense to me. I see no topics making light of these humanitarian crises we have.

Now to go back on topic:

I can’t say I’m emotionally attached to cooking equipment, but more of a not so easily replace-able that I use frequently (I could only think of 2):

1. The Shun Bob Kramer knife I have (certainly not for the price I got it for)
  2. My LOMI compost machine - this is more of how much work I’m giving it these days. It’s been fascinating seeing my scraps turned to composting, and they’ve been back ordered for a while.
4 Likes

Posting about salad or which lobster roll is the best in New England is also probably insensitive to those who are refugees or experiencing a famine.

You can’t please everyone. Do you honestly think a food discussion board in English will offend refugees across the world who don’t read English, as people chat about which housewares they value?

My relatives were displaced from present day Ukraine, and they managed to bring a few housewares with them for what is worth.

Maybe refrain from the thread if it bothers you.

This is a social outlet for those enjoying the dialogue.

7 Likes

Searz-All, because it was a gift, and there’s no better torch.
3mm tinned copper oval fish pan, b/c also a gift, and rare as rare gets.
My dad’s knife scabbard, for sentimental reasons.

3 Likes

I like old Corningware, the white and blue pattern.

My cast iron skillet.

1 Like

Me too… but even better French Arcoroc black glass octagon series. Had them since the 80’s and not a single piece has broken or chipped.

5 Likes

My mom had that set!

1 Like

I like the 1970s Corningware. I have some pieces from 1970, some pieces from 1993, and some pieces from 2015ish. The new stuff that is made in China instead of Corning NY is heavier, marks more, and isn’t glazed underneath.

I like French Duralex glasses. I have a few Arcoroc bowls.

2 Likes

I remember how excited you were at the Searz-All

Thumbs up for Duralex glasses. I have some red glass Arcoroc plates, soup bowls, and coffee mugs packed away with the Xmas dishes.

3 Likes

Oooh, red. Would love to see a couple of them… do I have to wait until December?

Yeah, if it wasn’t for the safety issues, everyone should have one.

I checked out the Searzall. It might pair up with a sous vide to produce a nice steak or chop. My biggest issue with SV has been the poor sears cooks put on their SV dishes.

2 Likes

Lol. I have a picture of them on my dining room table from 14 or 15 years ago, but the picture is out of focus. They’re just transparent ruby red. Here’s a representative photo from the Internets, where everything lives … forever.

They’re good to fill in if you don’t have all the pieces in your Xmas dishes, which nobody has, unless you have unlimited storage :joy:

2 Likes

Cries in Chowhound.

1 Like

I know people who have Christmas dishes. The closest I’ll ever come is paper birthday cake plates! However, guilt over single use things means when they are gone they will not be restocked.

1 Like