The Five Strongest Gins In The World...

Same here don’t use it very much but then I buy way too much bourbon!

2 Likes

I can drink Hendricks if I have to…

:wink:

1 Like

I won’t drink Hendrick’s unless I have too. And may skip it even then. There are so many fantastic craft gins out there. Hendricks was one of the first handful of “New Western Style” gins, dry or not, to hit the market. Tanqueray Sapphire lead the way, but Hendrick’s isn’t a great or even very good product to my tastes. But then everyone has different tastes. The first few years their consistency was crap. One in four of the batches tasted like diesel fuel. And it is pricey, way beyond for the quality.

1 Like

Oh I like Hendrick’s a lot.

I haven’t had too many “craft gins”, but I suspect they’re a lot like craft beers - they emphasize one characteristic over the others in order to push the envelope. Like super hoppy IPAs for example. I can imagine gins are similar, (increase the coriander by a factor of ten;. add ten parts peat for “earthiness”).

What I like about both Plymouth and Hendrick’s is that they seem “round”, that is balanced to my palate. No sharp edges to the sip. A little vermouth, shaken vigorously and served up with three olives. (I like olives.)

I’ll have two please. :wink:

1 Like

You are making a big assumption. Only a few emphasize one thing. Excellent gin is all about balance. Maybe you should try a few dozen gins, take some notes, and learn about them.

But personally, you lost all credibility with me when you said shaken for a cocktail that uses gin & vermouth, and no citrus or dairy.

1 Like

My nearby BevMo stores carry Slipsmith, which is one of the five. The only thing I use gin for is an occasional Negroni, and that cocktail is ALL alcohol (gin+vermouth+campari) so I really don’t see a need to make it even more ‘deadly’ than it is already. My wife likes them but always asks why it hits her so hard. Hmmmmm. 3+ ounces of straight booze? That should do it. :wink:

1 Like

Because if I don’t do it exactly like you then I’m wrong and have no credibility?

OK man, I’ll try to get over it.

Have a nice day. :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

I’ll be having a “wrong” martini.

Plymouth. Shaken. Three Olives.

And a toast to you.

1 Like

Well you could try making your own…

I think my viking grandfather did this in the bathtub during prohibition, there was a story about him ruining some of my grandmothers silk stockings…

Swedes make flavored vodka all the time, they call it Akavit.

This would be even cheaper if you have a juniper bush in your back yard…

Btw you could get this to 57% by starting with everclear and thinning back with spring water if that’s what you really wanted.

No, because there are very specific reasons why you might want to shake or stir. And you obviously not only don’t know the difference, or care. So no skin off my back, but it just shows your lack of education, skill, taste, etc. blah, blah, blah. If you were open to learning it would be one thing, but in todays climate of insanley good cocktails, I laugh at folks who still grab hold tightly to schlock.

Well thanks for your selfless attempt to enlighten me.

I apologize for my ignorance.

Then there is Oude Jenever, or Dutch Gin:

You can try an Oude Jenever here at Wynand Fockink, a proeflokaal that goes back to the 1600’s:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188590-d523478-Reviews-Wynand_Fockink-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

http://wynand-fockink.nl/

Has to be the best name for a bar ever, right @Presunto?

Here is another good proeflokaal:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188590-d2614532-Reviews-De_Drie_Fleschjes-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

http://www.dedriefleschjes.nl/start.html

Proeflokaal’s have no chairs so you have to do your shots standing up.

They also fill the glass to the brim, so you have to bend over to start it and then stand up in one continuous motion to drain it.

After the 6th gin, this becomes something of a challenge.

While bending, you have to keep your hands behind your back:

Voor uw gezondheid !

Lol… not for me. I despise gin. Vile stuff. I’m a bitter girl (beer that is, not the “bitterballen” crap).

Wynend Fockink sounds funny in English. Dutch people have some funny/ridiculous names.

Speaking of bitters, ever tried this?

Really good with smoked eel.

I have seen a few recipes for making Gin from mixing things with already distilled spirits as opposed to the “dry Gin” method of distilling the spirit with botanicals. I don’t think I have ever tasted it though.

Any thoughts as to the quality/taste…? After all its said bathtub gin led to the development of lots of cocktails to hide its bad taste during prohibition.

I think the blending method is sold as a way of turning cheap vodka into a imitation of expensive craft gin with custom botanicals. But does it work…?

1 Like

I first got into the spirits production biz by infusing my own gins, liqueurs, and cocktail bitters. (I had already been a professional brewer off and on.) Chef friends raved about them and told me I had to open a distillery. At the time it wasn’t feasible, but 5-7 years later I was a winemaker/brewer/distiller and won multiple awards for products I put on the market, including bitters.

It all depends upon the quality of ingredients/botanicals, the amount (Gm. per L.), and amount of time that they infuse. It will not be a clear spirit, but one that folks really loved had a gorgeous golden color to it.

So, the answer is yes. While you can’t infuse and sell, you can make wonderful infused gins and other infused spirits like aquavit or liqueurs for your home use.

Thanks for this. One more question which base spirit(s) did you use…?