The Drinker's Bonus

(DeMarko) #1

I’ve realized for years, if ordering more than 1 drink at a restaurant or bar, the second drink is always stronger, or the wine pour is bigger, sometimes substantial. I’ve started calling this the drinker’s bonus.

So, last night we were at our favorite Mexican place, I order a G&T and DH feels like a shot of Hornitos.
They arrive and are strong, made well in the case of my gin and tonic. We order a 2nd round and DH’s shot, if anything was smaller, but mine was noticeably stronger. I did order a third and it was practically a martini!! (1st proper g&ts of the summer)

Do any of you experience this in the hospitality industries?

1 Like

I’ve never experienced it myself. But a long time ago, late '70s, I was visiting a friend and his housemate was holding an informal bartending lession. He said that if, say a guy was “trying to get a girl drunk”, the bartender should start out with lower-alcohol drinks, then ramp them up after she was tipsy from the first and wouldn’t notice the stronger ones. In this #metoo era, I look back at it as abetting date-rape, and I’m uncomfortable with the memory.

1 Like

(DeMarko) #3

Unfortunately a lot of outrageous things happened in the 70’s. The sexual revolution hadn’t evolved yet to where it should have been. Even the feminist females had very unfeminist code names for lots of things like GIB when a fellow female got a promotion. I’m glad we have moved forward to quite an extent.

0 Likes

(Miss_belle) #4

Here’s hoping more men are gentlemen and follow this song these days. The difference between a boy and a man.

1 Like

Especially if you know bartender.

0 Likes

(Gwenn) #6

Love my horn!

0 Likes