The decline of Chowhound, by the numbers

I thought that was interesting. She has maintained a very prolific posting history. From what I’ve seen, she has stayed out of the drama. If she is displaying a lack of enthusiasm they should wise-up and listen. She’s smart, passionate about food and has a cool head.

7 Likes

I always liked Melanie . She was hip to the bay area , and Corti Bros in Sacramento.

3 Likes

Oof! Sorry Harters. I should have proofread better. It’s 17, 910 comments as listed on your CH profile.

Wow. I always knew I talk too much but to see the evidence…

Yours

Gobby John

6 Likes

Oh, I have that in my profile on CH as my website. Maybe the same for me!

2 Likes

Melanie has generally stayed out of the more general drama about the various CH “philosophy”/focus/etc shifts, but while I can’t cite specific posts offhand, I’m pretty sure she has made less-than-enthusiastic comments about some specific changes before, and not just of the “bug report” variety…

4 Likes

So do I.

1 Like

Then that’s not it!!!

1 Like

Well, I logged in for the first time since I left and replied to patsully’s whine. I fully expect it to be deleted, although I feel I was respectful enough. patsully might think otherwise.

2 Likes

Very nice post Linda. Although I still post and participate on CH (the Paris “board” was especially helpful and fun during my recent stay, thanks to a bunch of old timers who’ve hung in there), the current CH is nothing like what we joined over 20 years ago. Not that I miss a lot of the drama from back then (or Leff, for that matter), but there was a sense of community that cherished its “finds” & new ideas – and its arguments & infighting – this is the real loss.

3 Likes

Maybe even overly respectful, Linda - bearing in mind how some of our friends were treated.

1 Like

I started on that site in November 2000, not posting a whole lot, but asking questions of those in the know on the Boston area board. It was later that I branched out to the Food Media and General Topics boards (once they were created). I eat in way more than I eat out, so the early WFD threads were my forté (and the Top Chef threads, of course!)

But it is quite astonishing that it’s survived 22 years.

4 Likes

Nah. To paraphrase someone, its not a bad idea to “go high” when others go low. Besides, for those of us who’ve been around CH since the beginning, its not the 1st time folks were treated badly and there have been mass exoduses before.

3 Likes

Yep. I started just a little earlier and, for me, it was all about finding places to go in NYC where there was great food being served. I’m probably still friends with 20-30 others from back then and a lot of us still go out together periodically. Some are now prominent bloggers, others just get hungry. Its all good.

2 Likes

But I think I got my point across - patsully claims they didn’t/don’t understand our frustration. I told him they IGNORED us back then and did whatever the hell that Georges wanted. It was a massive “EFF YOU” to the long-time users. Therefore, they lost their content - the people who provided it.

I was trying to be respectful that the thread is supposed to be about the 22nd anniversary.

And it looks like it was deleted. No surprise. I should have copied/pasted my reply here for posterity. Wow.

5 Likes

I suppose he did think otherwise . . . I just clicked on the link to that thread and did not see any post by you :astonished:

1 Like

It REALLY shows me that their mindset hasn’t changed. It actually cracks me up - their Veruca Salt foot stomping continues.

1 Like

Here’s a link to a current CH thread that some folks here might find interesting. Just imagine that CH was like this -

Some might find it longwinded or extremely picky, while I find it informative and of great interest. Just about every poster on that thread is a long timer who knows their shit & is willing to share (including one who’s on this board with another name). That’s the CH I miss. Just sayin’.

1 Like

Absolutely.

3 Likes

New brooms don’t WANT the continued participation of old guard regulars. They want, encourage and need new members who will happily and without grudge subscribe to the new company line. A few of “us” pop up irregularly in our old forums like the return of a seasonal allergy. Keeps things current and in perspective.

re their email to “come on back and post”, the broom is no longer new and probably realizes its limitations.

1 Like