The decline of Chowhound, by the numbers

If I wasn’t entirely clear, Google’s “site:” operator limits the search only to web pages whose domain name matches whatever you specify after the colon. And like all Google search operators, it can be negated with the minus sign/hyphen. So, f’rexample,

The search:

blah1 blah2 blah3 site:www.chowhound.com

will bring return hits on any web pages on Chowhound-the-website that include the terms blah1, blah2, and blah3, while the search

blah1 blah2 blah3 Chowhound

will also return results on sites other than CH if the page happens to mention the word “Chowhound” as well as the other terms.

And as far as the wildcard business is concerned (which I personally use mostly for keeping Pinterest hits out of my lists of results):

-site:*.pinterest.*

will exclude all of the irksomely extensive Pinterest subdomains/variants that end in a single prefix (like the US-based “www.pinterest.com” or Italy’s “www.pinterest.it”, etc)

while

-site:*.pinterest.*.*

will exclude the variants that use double-prefixes, like “www.pinterest.co.uk” (among others…)

And last but not least, you can use the operator multiple times in a single search, so you can, for example, do a search that excludes all (or almost all) of the Pinterest stuff by including both terms in the same search. In other words,

blah -site:*.pinterest.*.* -site:*.pinterest.*

will return hits for “blah” anywhere on the Web except a Pinterest site/web page.

7 Likes

Cool! Thanks again! I’m going to try it. :blush:

1 Like

I liked Chowhound, and sometimes hoped it would go back to what it was. But all the fellow Hounds on the China & Southeast Asia board where I am are long-gone, and not likely to return. When they erased the board, they pretty much obliterated the whole community that used to be so active here.

2 Likes

I went to CH to look for a photo I posted there long ago, and in my profile under “photos” I can pull up thumbnails of the photos I’ve posted, but when I click to go to the post, the photo is not there. I’d like to see a full size copy of the photo, any ideas anyone?
Update:
Ok I was able to look at it on my phone for some reason, just not computer.

They have a new “Executive Editor” for the site.

Great job title.

And Ricepad and Karl S. come right to the point. :+1::+1::+1: Although I suspect it’ll be ignored.

1 Like

I thought about posting something similar but decided I really don’t give a shit whether it lives or dies.

3 Likes

Gotta wonder if anyone gave Hana a history lesson in her interviews. Imagine starting anew job and strangers immediately warn you about making changes before you’ve done anything at all.

2 Likes

Looks like she was senior lifestyle editor at Food52 until recently. One of her articles alludes to past training at culinary school. Both experiences bring more of possible value to the site than the idiot Georges brought! With her Food52 involvement she must be aware of the issues CH has faced. I wish her luck. I think it is a thankless task at this point.

5 Likes

An odd email arrives from Chowhound - from David Watsky, the editor of Chowhound (who knew it had an editor).

He starts with the info that CH’s 22nd birthday is approaching and that he has written to me as I am, allegedly, one of CHs Top 50 posters. He invites me to let him know various “good experiences” I’ve had.

Now, it instantly occured to me that I simply cannot be one of the sites “Top 50”. I never contributed that much , apart from What’s for Dinner threads and surely that wouldnt have made the contribution that great. Have any other HOs had a similar email? I’m thinking of other long term WFD contributors, like Linda or Christina, or others who were big contributors to their regional boards?

FWIW, I’ve replied suggesting that their method of calculating the Top 50 must be flawed and that, in any event, I stopped regularly posting there for the reasons well know to those of us who have made HO our new home since its inception.

Something smells fishy.

7 Likes

Discussion in progress here:

4 Likes

John,
I know you know your fish!! (Lol)

4 Likes

I still post there & I wasn’t invited. Hmmm.

1 Like

I didn’t get THAT email, but I keep getting “All the latest from Melanie Wong” emails! They must know I like Melanie Wong!

1 Like

Didn’t get one of those. I abandoned the site a while ago though.

1 Like

Steve…Where are you…We need you here…especially since last year in went to Carmel Pebble beach for the car show and auction…

1 Like

You have the wrong Steve. I’ll see you next week in Red Bank and we’ll sort it all out.

1 Like

OK… I guess we will , and look forward to adjusting my cranial repository!

Any Steve in a storm.

4 Likes

Good grief, Chowhound must have blown itself up big time to have lost that many of you.

4 Likes