The Dad Restaurant - New Yorker

I don’t know if anybody saw this last week, but it’s a short read and made me chuckle.

“Welcome to Café Bistro, a restaurant with a name that will be easy to remember the next time someone asks you where you went for your birthday. We serve dinner between 4 P.M. and 7:30 P.M. Here, the lighting is always turned up and the music volume is always low, to facilitate menu-studying and discussion.”

1 Like

Very funny. I’m in that in-between phase between my parents being that and me becoming that, so of course I have no idea what the author is going on about. None at all. :wink:

Yeah, my vantage point is from just north of the forty yard line myself.

"Your Wife’s Daal and Basmati Rice

I don’t know why you even go out."

Indeed!

Reminds me of Brown Dog Cafe in Lake Placid, where the check is delivered in a cigar box with reading glasses inside.

Thanks for sharing.

I’m 50 and none of this applies to me, but I also didn’t come close to laughing at any point. Chacun a son gout.

Does it have to apply to you personally to be funny? I’m neither a dad nor 50, but we’ve heard and seen these types… in fact the bitching and moaning about too dark & loud restaurants was the topic of many a thread on the other site.

No. That it doesn’t apply to me and I don’t find it funny are two separate observations, separated by a “but”. :smile:

Also, I don’t like restaurants that are too loud or dark, but I didn’t get that as the main point of that piece.

Hey, as you say, chacun a son gout, right? I understand.

The stark reality remains - very few people are as funny as me.

1 Like

OK, I chuckled at that. :smile:

1 Like

Because it was ungrammatical, or…? :wink:

That thought didn’t occur to me at all.

It did to me.

I found it condescending and mean spirited and I usually love Shouts and Murmurs (practically the only thing in the new yorker that I like, even the cartoons aren’t very good anymore)

now this latest one is very good :slight_smile:

Sometimes it seems to me that The New Yorker is kinda like Saturday Night Live - plenty of folks will always be around to reflect on how it used to be better. That’s cool. I actually understand it and would be lying if I said I hadn’t done it myself. Nevertheless, I can’t help but wonder if maybe, like a first kiss or taste of buffalo wings, even things that are good will always suffer from the absence of “initial magic”.

As to the “Dad” piece, I’m not sure I want to be a part of a world that can’t laugh at financially comfortable, retirement age, white, heterosexual men with their facade of old school manly courage spanxing in their trembling fear of a changing society. Well, . . . at least not until I’m one of them.

3 Likes