The customer is always right in a restaurant

Not a new article, some stories are quite funny and others are heartwarming.

6 Likes

Good stories. And Iā€™ve been to three of the restaurants mentioned - Sticky Walnut in Chester, the Hardwick in Abergavenny and Core in London.

1 Like

That was a fun read! And John, Iā€™m jealous that youā€™ve eaten in so many of those places!

Well, surely anyone who punches Gordon Ramsay is right. Or, almost anyone.

Who might the ā€œalmostā€ be? Surely it should always be open season on Ramsay?

The story about the chef who just had a feeling and gave a hug to the woman who just left the abusive relationship got me right in the :heart:.

And the MPW and GR fight with a customer had me laughing.

Very good read.

I enjoyed this thoroughly. Thank you. I miss Anthony Bourdain as much as Julia Child.

2 Likes

I too really enjoyed this read. I was really struck by the chef who fed the down-on-his-luck man (I love a story with a happy ending :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lovely stories. Taking this thread slightly on tangent, I can recall very little inexcusably bad restaurant cooking. Essentially all of our terrible meals out have been from intrusive, invasive boorish fellow dinersā€™ shouting, hooting, boasting, confiding indelicate stories. I read a wonderful line once regarding Americansā€™ piercing voices: ā€œThe French like to enjoy their own meal, not yours.ā€
Most Americans feel this way too.

3 Likes

Americans are not unique in this. The Spanish can come close - Iā€™ve often listened to groups (of men) talking and thinking they were in the middle of a heated, angry argument only to realise after a bit that they were not about to come to blows and were probably just talking about the weather.

That said, I was in a restaurant in Rome , in 2011, where I can say with absolute confidence that, with the exception of us and a couple of Italians on the next table, every other table was occupied by Americans. Their voices carried - even those at the far end of the restaurants.

2 Likes

This too, was my fav.

1 Like

I love this. Iā€™m still reading it. Favorites so far are the down in his luck gent and the Vegan who didnā€™t like vegetables. Still going. Lucky Harters!!!