The Craft Brewery/Alcohol Scene [NJ]

6 posts were split to a new topic: NJ Bar Stories / Memories…

According to an interview with Lisa Laird Dunn (9th generation - VP) in New Jersey Breweries (2008 - there were so few NJ breweries at the time, that authors Bryson and Haynie included Laird’s to flesh out the book):

Laird’s doesn’t distill in New Jersey anymore; the actual distilling takes place down in North Garden, Virginia, in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley apple country. Laird’s bought that distillery after Repeal and moved all production there in the 1970’s.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

It bothers me too. It isn’t hard or expensive to make a basic Web page. If you hear anything keep us posted. I will try to get there.

1 Like

I have been waiting for this brewpub to open for years now. It is called nanobrewery probably because of the small batches of craft beer they are allowed to make. They serve food and cocktails which sets WCP apart from the rest of the crowd. Only 5 beers were offered mostly IPAs, which I happened to like. There’s a small food menu that was interesting and surprisingly very good. There is a separate room for live music and spacious outdoor beer garden. This place will be jumping when the weather gets warm.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried icarus brewing in lakewood? I met my friend at sitting duck tonight and had two juice ipa from flying fish and a dunkin porter from harpoon…both were quite nice. He speaks highly of this rather newer NJ brewery and predicts it will will be the next big thing next to carton and kane.

1 Like

I think that might be one of the breweries that Whitechapel was serving to supplement their NANO brews.

Been a couple of times. May be putting out the best product of the bunch. Really small place. They are totally cool with you bringing along your dog and a sandwich.

2 Likes

Nope… They were two others, Last Wave and Jughandle.

Any place that allows dogs in has my vote!

2 Likes

Does anyone know where to get Jackson Morgan spirits in Monmouth county?

Definitely go to Driftwood tiki bar, Nauti Bar, in Sea Bright then. Dogs allowed inside and out!

1 Like

Justin ran into one of Driftwood’s long-time bartenders at his job a month or so ago who invited us to come and try it. Honestly, I had never even heard of the place until he mentioned it.

1 Like

I cannot speak for all their brews, but if you are of fan of American or New England style IPAs there are none better from NJ breweries than those from Icarus in Lakewood. They have been around for a couple of years and already are a big thing for us hop heads. The best IMO are the various Yacht Juices, Not A Schooner, Power Juicer, We Want The Gold, and We Want All the Gold.

Nauti Bar closes to the public upon it opening to its private members in the summer season. Get there soon!

We went to the Nauti Bar and then to the restaurant yesterday. As promised it was a dog party! Big dogs, little dogs, black and white dogs! Outside bar was a little odd. Ordered a beer and a wine and bartender said the wine was coming. Waited like 5-10 minutes and just asked for another kind. Kind of expected that glass to be free but whatever. Went to the restaurant for dinner and sat at the bar. The menu looked nice but all entrees were 30ish. The idea of dropping $100 for an early dinner when we weren’t starving seemed excessive. The happy hour menu had $7 burgers and half price wines. Cheap dinner at like $40 for 2 wines, order of fancy fries covered in cheese, bacon etc, mussels for me (not very exciting) and burger for husband (he gave it a thumbs up). Nice spot, but I don’t see us rushing back.

2 Likes

Interesting

brobible.com: A $30 Whiskey Was Just Named The Best In The World And It Probably Won’t Be $30 For Much Longer.
https://brobible.com/culture/article/henry-mckenna-best-whiskey-in-world/

1 Like

Had some Asbury Blonde and Carton This Town over the summer and must say, I def enjoyed both very much. Nice to see some non-IPA locally.

2 Likes

Paid for spirit award. Like most all of them. And it’s a single barreled product so what won will not be what you buy. The only thing it did was raise the price of this average single barreled offering. Yea!

Tried “Irish Eye’s”. A session IPA · 5.1% on tap at Salt Creek Grill in Rumson last Friday. Tom’s River Brewery bills it as light bodied, hazy and aromatic. I thought it was excellent!

https://www.saltcreekgrille.com/rumson/