The Chieftain Pub [Plainville MA]; Midtown Oyster Bar [Newport RI]; Pivotal Brewing [Bristol RI]; Nacho Mamma’s [Barrington RI]

Headed down to our RI house after an entire month of the place sitting empty—it hadn’t imploded yay (which we knew, thanks to B who has lots of systems in place to oversee it from afar). We left Friday after school pickup and traffic looked awful so we decided to stop midway-ish at the Chieftain Pub for an late lunch/early dinner (linner?) Started with good soda bread with currants, cheeseburger for Spring Onion, burger of some type for B, mussels for me. I should know better than to order winter mussels (small) but the broth was good enough for us to bring home which I’ll repurpose in a pasta dish. I also brought home the largely unneeded/untouched drawn butter because as I said to our server, someone in the kitchen is making this and I can’t bear to throw that out. She totally agreed. Love a restaurant that has proper table lamps in the cozy booths.

IMG_5938

IMG_5939

IMG_5940

IMG_5941

IMG_5942

We went to excellent Sailing Museum in Newport today. We stopped for lunch beforehand at Midtown Oyster Bar out of convenience (it’s very close to the museum) but it turned out to be ok (we thought it would be a tourist trap). Cheeseboiga again for SO (le sigh), BBQ salmon sandwich for B. Bermuda fish stew for me. I’ve never been to Bermuda so I can’t attest to the “authenticity” of it but hilariously, there was a ramekin of some “sauce,” which I tasted and it was rum. I stirred some into my stew, which our server said is the intention but that some customers just used it as a shooter. Ah, to be young again in Newport! lol. My spicy clam ceviche was the winner today. Five delightful and refreshing bites of clam, wakame, pickled radish, cilantro—our sever was delighted we ordered this dish, telling us that it was a revelation for him.

IMG_6275

IMG_6277

IMG_6278

IMG_6276

After the museum, we thought we were headed back to the house but it was early, so I suggested Pivotal Brewing in Bristol, which was on our way. Awesome space and the campus is rife with food businesses, including Brick Pizza and Borealis Coffee in gorgeous mill buildings. But as we were making our way there, I saw old school places like Andrade’s Seafood market and various other restaurants and packies. We obviously need to delve into Bristol. Pivotal is in a beautiful space, good beers. They had a makers mart and a folk singer today and good beer (loved the soul fire DIPA). But most important, that had Yahtzee, which kept all of happy.

IMG_5960

Some debate about what to do for dinner (once we’re back in our house, it’s hard to leave again) so we decided against pizza at Brick or at our local place, Moving Dough, and went with Mexican at Nacho Mamma’s. The name makes us laugh but the food is good, especially for a place like Barrington. Chicken quesadilla with good-looking rice and beans for SO, seriously spicy Philly cheesesteak burrito for B. I’m not hungry yet. Leftovers for me.

IMG_5966

8 Likes

thanks for the reviews…have been sharing with DH and RI is in our sights.

2 Likes

This is why we get along. One time on a sailboat trip that involved a lobster bake, my husband did shots of drawn butter with the crew to prevent it being wasted. Me, I don’t need the extra calories, but I fully support all efforts to not waste food.

5 Likes

On the rare occasions we go to a local pub for their twin lobster special (usually once a year) we bring containers with us so we can bring home the all the lobster shells. I make lobster stock once a year!

5 Likes

I looked up Nacho Mamma’s (to see if it was related to a chain in Las Vegas called Nacho Daddy, but it isn’t). Their burrito challenge - shown here - is similar to one DH did in North Carolina ages ago, where the burrito was called El Gigante. He conquered it, and earned the T-shirt, but was sick for several days after. :joy:

3 Likes

In my early days (14ish) I was a total sugar fiend. I walked into our dining room one night to see on the table a clear thickish liquid in a bowl. Figuring it was the leftover syrup from that in which our dessert gulab jamuns had once swum, I picked it up without breaking step and downed it in one gulp. Except that it wasn’t syrup but a bowl of warm ghee. Even I found it a tough swallow.

Your husband is clearly made of sterner stuff.

6 Likes

Well, now, you’ve really raised the bar! This deserves some sort of Yankee Parsimony Award.

3 Likes