The Black Sheep - Santa Barbara

This year Thanksgiving was during a short trip to Santa Barbara and so it was necessary to find a restaurant which was actually open on Turkey Day and served some decent food. On previous Thanksgiving trips that was often quite a problem as most Thanksgiving menus are quite disappointing. We were quite hopeful when we saw that Black Sheep Restaurant https://blacksheepsb.com/ (which is on our list for sometime) was open on that day and offered an interesting family style dinner. And we weren’t disappointed - really good dinner with multiple appetizers and entrees, all of them perfectly executed, creative (scallops paired so nicely with celery root).
One of the best Thanksgiving dinners in a long time - We will definitely be back on our next trip to dive into their regular menu.

Amuse Bouche: Buttercup Squash Soup Shooter, vanilla bean, pie spice, coconut, apples

Appetizer 1: Diver Scallop Crudo, celery root, pickled fennel, meyer lemon

Appetizer 2: Salt Roasted Beets, horseradish yogurt, hazelnuts, cocoa nibs

Appetizer 3: Butter Gem & Endive Salad, dates, pepitas, cara cara, fromage blanc, banyuls dressing

Entree 1: Pan Seared Red Ocean Trout, beluga lentils, broccolini, ceci miso-garlic dressing

Entree 2: Mary’s Organic Sonoma Tom Turkey, sourdough stuffing, mashed yukons, haricot verts, cranberry compote, applejack giblet gravy

Entree 3: Delicata Squash Risotto, baby autumn vegetables

Dessert 1: Warm House Made Pumpkin Pie, vanilla bean chantilly

Dessert 2: Poached Pear, oat milk gelato, lavendar jus

7 Likes

Wow, that looks great, as does regular menu. Seems reasonably priced as well given the ingredients and California prices in general. I’d love to try the cassoulet on the regular menu! However, I’ve only been back to California once since I left after ten years there in 1988, and there’s not a trip in my near future.

2 Likes