The Big Fat Nostalgia Thread For All

Seconds ago I stepped out of the Way Back Machine while enjoying some substance called sluricane and listening to the Grateful Dead’s China Cat Sunflower/I Know You Rider and Eyes of the World.

I feel really good now.

3 Likes

Catchy name! Read the description, was thinking of some for my friend, but nearest availability around here is 67 miles away.Not gonna happen. At first I thought it might be a slurpy/hurricane adult beverage…

1 Like

I love chicken kiev! What I love and can’t find is a GOOD ON THE BONE duck a l’orange. Half duck no confit let no boneless breast.

3 Likes

haha, i was just going to mention this as my top retro meal. I remember eating this many years ago. I don’t know anywhere that serves it now.

my other pick would be finnan haddie. Used to get that at Anthony’s Pier 4 in Boston as a kid. Haven’t seen it anywhere since.

3 Likes

I remember going to that place with my folks when we went to Boston for my college interview.

2 Likes

One nostalgic Boston memory from the late 70’s - was there for only 2 days. Standing on line at Jimmy’s No Name, a very long one, in the bitter cold late October weather - the wind was whipping across the bay, and I could only imagine how brutal the winters must be. (This was after spending the previous year in Alaska). Anyway got a table and had my first and only experience with scrod. Delicious, and I loved the old school funkiness of the place. Unforgettable food memory!

2 Likes

Italian Take Out in NE Philly (later became the Rhawnhurst Bar . . . but that’s a story for another day). Big pizzas with bubbly crusts. We all went on the last day of class and were always mortified that our teachers were there too.

ETA: The name was a misnomer. There were actually two levels for dine-in–kids on one level, teachers on the others. You would have thought we had learned that kids and teachers comingled. But hey, we were young and dumb.

1 Like

Wow. I haven’t had a Boston Cream Pie in years (decades)? Some decades ago I had a great recipe and used to make one or two a month. Dad was (or pretended to be) a big fan.

Don’t know whatever happened to that recipe, but now I really want a big slice.

1 Like

No Name’s name was simply No Name. That’s probably where you ate. Jimmy’s was Jimmy’s Harborside, more of a fine dining seafood restaurant.
Jimmy’s opened a casual place and called it Jimbo’s. All are gone now as is Pier Four, the most well known of Boston’s waterfront restaurants.

2 Likes

Another bit of nostalgia. We moved from NY to VA in 1965. My did still traveled back to NY on business and would stop to see my grandmother and pick up “real” pizza from the local pizzeria in Queens before flying home on the Eastern Shuttle, four or five pizzas in hand. He may have been among the first pizza delivery guys.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @carolina1 - fine dining it was definitely not! For whatever the reason, perhaps someone knew we were tourists in off season, but one of the owners/managers retrieved us from the line, led us into the crowded seating area, and gave us a cozy little seating area for two. If I’m recalling correctly, everything was served on thick diner serve ware, or even paper type containers. It was so long ago, but delicious. Glad to have the memory. Oh, saw some of Boston’s must sees too. Posted about in another thread, was supposed to be in the area over Memorial Day for a week, including 2 nights in Boston. Of course, postponed due to current. Have tentatively rescheduled for Sept, but will be carefully tracking novel Corona. Who would have thought, but of course, with virus, it’s never if, but when.

1 Like

No-name expanded quite a bit after the '70s, with a lot more space. They started taking reservations, so no hours-long waits in the cold. I think they even got a liquor license. But they closed in January, 2020, for financial reasons. I loved their chowder, and duplicated it many times at home.

Great minds. We used to haul frozen Uno’s or Giordano’s pizzas home from Chicago in a trash bag using the morning paper as insulation. Once a flight attendant who obviously had seen it all greeted us as we rounded the corner: “You can’t bring that on board unless you share !”

2 Likes

I once (late 1960s) had Veal Oscar (not a fan - very rich) in the Prince of Wales Room at the Hotel del Coronado - all very old school. However, it was balanced by my father and younger brother almost getting arrested for setting off fireworks (bought earlier that day in Tijuana) on the beach. My father’s wife and I watched helplessly from our hotel balcony!

2 Likes

Finan haddie ! Dad bought that once at the grocery not even knowing what it is. Can’t remember reaction then. Decades later in London, we ordered kedgeree for breakfast at Brown’s and it rang a bell. Glad he did; glad we did.

1 Like

Lazyman’s lobster
Crab Imperial
Surf (stuffed shrimp w/crab, sherry bread stuffing)&Turf with a side of teriyaki .

95 House dressing

Large fried battered shrimp, chow mein with noodles, egg roll, French bread, butter and the most delicious purple sauce you’ve ever had in your life.

I agree about Veal Oscar. Had it one time at the top of Reunion Tower in Dallas. Forgettable.

Thanks for the memory thread. I can still taste it all in my mind.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Ok, here’s one I forgot about. In steakhouses - and actually we had this in San Francisco in some big meat place where the prime rib came around on a trolly - iceberg lettuce wedges and the dressing came on the side family style. There was russian, blue cheese and another thick one. I still love that!

3 Likes

My father reporting telling an Eastern pilot to “turn around and drive” when he suggested sharing.

1 Like

Caesar salad made table side. The kind with garlic rubbed on a wooden bowl, raw egg, etc…
Complementary nibbles to enjoy with drinks before the main course. Relish tray, cheese spread with crackers. The option to get a simple dish of ice cream for dessert. A couple of Andes mints delivered with the check.

5 Likes

…and anchovy muddled in the bottom. Pickle barrels. Mints on the pillow in hotels. Real flatware and a decent meal on an airplane. Railroad dining cars. Drive-in movie theaters. Riding your bicycle to school. Brunch with carving stations that didn’t serve dry rubber. Before helicopter parenting.