The Best Tasting Fish You've Probably Never Tasted

The author is at least half right. I don’t know if these are better tasting fish but I’m sure I’ve never had any of them.

:notes: O I wish I was a much better fisherperson, that is what I’d truly like to be :notes:

2 Likes

I’ve had snakehead fish in SE asia…and it’s very good.
For the past 15 years i have gone to Alaska to fish in Sitka. We target Salmon of course, as well as Halibut, Pacific Cod, Ling Cod, and Sablefish, aka Black Cod. While I love them all…the Black Cod is to me, one of my favorite fishes in the whole world. We haul them in on manual reels from 600-800 feet, and I would do it all day if we were catching them. Catching them is a challenge is that they are found at great depth, which means going “outside” into open ocean in Alaskan waters. It can be gnarly rough conditions, with the boat pitching, wind blowing and rainy conditions. This is not inshore gentlemanly fishing conditions. You gotta wanna catch Black Cod and large halibut. My favorite preparations are the popular Nobu Miso Butterfish, but they are great just gently sautéed or steamed Chinese style. As a cold, deep water bottom fish, they are white fleshed, flaky, and have a significant oil content that makes the flesh unctuous when cooked, and resistant to drying out, though care should be taking NOT to overcook it as the meat is just heavenly when cooked to around 130 degrees. We try to maximize our harvest of Black Cod every year.

7 Likes

Same here. We get them off the boat in Half Moon Bay. Fresh out of the water the night/day before and immediately iced. Great eating fish.

Of the list, have not had pure salt water salmon. Hope to check this off the list some time.

3 Likes

I can’t say that I’ve ever tried any of the fish in the article, but I did get a beautiful Sockeye Salmon filet not too long ago. I went to the store (during a sale) and they were out. As I was about to leave, the guy behind the counter stopped me and said I think the truck is pulling in with a new shipment, could I wait a few minutes (which I could). Before he went to the back, I asked for one small filet and he came back with a beautiful one.
When I got it home, I carefully removed the skin and made sushi. Both my girlfriend and I agreed this was the best fish we had eaten. I do keep an eye out for sales on Sockeye Salmon and will definitely make sushi again with this fish. YUMMY!!

2 Likes

Smoked sable is amazing. If it appears on an appetizing platter/spread, the host wants to impress the guests.

Are the waters around Ketchikan fresh or salt? If the latter, then I’ve caught saltwater Alaskan salmon (pinks).

3 Likes

A bit of drift. Anyone for Monkfish?

We brought this brute home, as the fishmonger confirmed the fish was in the round, ie, not gutted. We were hoping for a nice lobe of Ankimo (liver), sushi chefs sometimes referred to as the foie gras of the sea. Sadly, some earlier handler had already harvested the prize.

We were stuck with what the seafood industry had try to promote as “Poor man’s lobster”. The meat did cook up nicely. Will buy again, with realigned expectations.

7 Likes

We eat a lot of snakehead, which has invaded the Chesapeake. It’s very good. Black Cod is superb, but really expensive. Ive seen it for $40/pound, and that was pre-inflation.

and I like monkfish, preferably in medallions. It’s very meaty, and the medallion approach calms that down.

1 Like

“really expensive. Ive seen it for $40/pound, and that was pre-inflation.”

Wow. Black cod fresh off the boat in half moon bay almost always around $8/lb. But that was in the round, not filets.

$8 ~ $10 in SF Chinatown. About $16/lb headed and gutted at Costco.

1 Like

I’m getting into Asian carp of late. Surprisingly good.

I just remember the first time I tried red snapper. My head spun around once or twice. Damn, that’s good.

1 Like