"The Bear" on Hulu

Review

Official trailer

https://youtu.be/iN9Yu9lrssg

Stream on Hulu

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. It looks like it has possibilitiesā€¦ (Iā€™m a sucker for trailers!)

2 Likes

@shrinkrap Have you started the show yet? Iā€™ve watched two episodes and am enjoying it. I like its vibe, and it takes me to a place (Chicago) as well as any production I can recall.

1 Like

I have not! Thanks for the reminder!

Today Iā€™ve noticed itā€™s on my list, but Iā€™m finding myself watching the new Iron Chef on Netflix first, perhaps because I need to have an flexible schedule, and be in the mood for a series.

1 Like

I just started the second episode. Loving the overall storyline and vibe of the show. Iā€™m originally from California but have lived in Chicago for a decade now, and I have some issues with the portrayal of the neighborhood, but the performances are great. Iā€™m planning to watch a couple more episodes this evening and I hope it continues on the way it has.

2 Likes

Welcome @NShewmaker, and thanks for your review!

2 Likes

Phenomenal show. Characters are compelling. Food is a secondary consideration. Waiting for the second season now. Problem with streaming shows is that seasons are so short.

1 Like

Yay! Glad you liked it!

ā€¦and that I feel compelled to watch as many of them as I can in a binge! Not about food, but recently binged on ā€œThe Man Who Fell to Earthā€, and as much as I could of "Only Murders In The Building ".

Iā€™m about to take a pretty long flight. Iā€™m going to see what I can download or stream on board.

Anyone else surprised to find out that Matty Matheson can act? But maybe heā€™s just playing a version of himself. I liked his show Suppertime. I learned a few things watching him.

1 Like

Maybe the most frenetic show Iā€™ve seen in a whole. Iā€™ve never worked in the real restaurant industry but it seems a stretch that their kitchen would be run that way. Itā€™s supposed to be a sandwich shop. There are no front of house people that I can discern, and the one shot I recall showed just a few tables. Seems out of synch with the ā€˜levelā€™ set in back. I guess Iā€™m missing something.

2 Likes

This story from the NY Times says itā€™s the most realistic show about a kitchen on tv.

Itā€™s interesting to read that the lead actors actually worked in kitchens to learn what it was all about. Having Matty on the show and as a producer brings real life kitchen experience.

2 Likes

A restaurant kitchen, yes. Anthony Bourdain, and dozens of others have described that chaos and pressure. But this place is described as a sandwich shop, and visually seems to be just that. The show is good if I ignore what seems to me to be that incongruity.

1 Like

I think the point is that Carmy is trying to bring a fine dining sensibility to the sandwich shop. And that itā€™s supposed to seem pretty crazy to the staff (and the audience, apparently).

1 Like

A review of sorts.

I watched the whole thing (which says something positive to me about the show right there) and finished it last night. I enjoyed it, and thought the story wrapped up nicely. Happy ending.

I donā€™t find myself longing for a 2nd season, however, and am thinking anything more might come across as too contrived.

Iā€™m typically not a fan of non-fiction drama, however, and rarely watch this kind of thing, so Iā€™m probably not the target audience.

2 Likes

Itā€™s fiction, though.

Oops. My bad. That should have read ā€œfiction dramaā€. Too late to edit.

Aha! That makes more sense.

I gulped this down over the past few nights and am with those who thought it was great. Parts were super stressful to watch (and my only food-service experience is working at an ice cream shop when I was 19), but I found the performances riveting.

I thought this was a good article:

2 Likes